Best "All-Inclusive" Resorts for Wine Lovers??

So my wife and I are going to take our first “adult” vacation since my son was born nearly 6 years ago (yeah…we’re REALLY looking forward to this :slight_smile: , and we want to go with an All-Inclusive resort so that we don’t have to worry about dealing with money/monitoring our expenses/etc. We just want to show up, eat and drink as much as we want, and relax sans-kids for 8 days.

The only problem with this approach is that I’m REALLY struggling to find an all-inclusive resort that has at least some decent wine selections included. I know we can always purchase nicer bottles at most resorts…but I’m not wanting to pay 6x retail all week long (kinda defeats the purpose of “all-inclusive”.)

Has anyone had any luck finding a resort that offers a reasonable range of choices that would satisfy a Berserker?? Ideally we’re looking at Mexico (easiest in regards to travel from Phoenix), but we’d be open to suggestions, possibly even a cruise or something if there’s an amazing one.

Thanks in advance for the help here!

Enjoy the vacation. My experience from basic/decent all-inclusives is that you can find higher end hard alcohol easier than better quality wines.
This doesn’t help too much but try this: All inclusives - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

ANy chance there could be an all-inclusive in California, Oregon or Washington wine country? Or are you looking for a beach destination?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, looking for a beach destination. My wife loves wine as well…but doesn’t want to make the trip “all about wine”.

Thanks again!

My vote is that you do to a fun place and drink tequila or rum. You can drink wine at home. You need a recovery.

Two suggestions. Think about bringing your own wine for special evenings. If you are looking at beach, you might look at South Africa. Not sure if they have all inclusive resorts, but it is worth looking. I would look in the Cape Town region.

Moving to travel forum

I went to the best of these - Birkenhead House in Hermanus. Wine was pretty good but not great. Lovely setting though, and a quick drive to the better SA pinot producers in the Hemel en Aarde valley.

As usual, Mr Kolin has this figured out. Drink beer, mixed drinks, scotch . . . anything but wine. It will be a nice change of pace and make you all the more eager to open a bottle when you get home.

Have a great time wherever you go

Or you can book a Silverseas cruise and bring wine on board (no corkage). Their liquor selection is pretty good (you can order a bottle or two for your stateroom gratis), but their wine is less so. Great, small ships.

really appreciate the feedback everyone - good stuff!

I’m slowly realizing that we may have to drink more liquor than I would typically like to…but 7 nights without any decent wine might be kinda rough!

Agreed. Forget the wine. You will not find an all inclusive with good wine - the economics don’t work. Just go to the small inside bar that everyone else ignores and ask the bar tender about the good stuff. They have it, but they hide it. That’s how I learned to like good Tequila.

As mentioned before…South Africa, Cape Town in particular. If you have miles (and time) to get there once you do everything is so inexpensive, wine included, you won’t need an all-inclusive. I realize that this might be outside of your time allotted for the trip.

Big +1 for Cape Town. Check out the exchange rate for the USD to the SAR. Beautiful city, great food and wine…already planning my next trip back to SA.

Lots of tips for South Africa but does it even have all inclusive?

We took a dozen bottles with us to Antigua and though they stopped us at customs they let us through without penalty.

In my experience most all inclusives (Caribbean) let you take all your wine that you want. It is better for them since you don’t consume their “free” drinks.

Great recos everyone, really appreciate it.

Unfortunately we won’t have the time to go to South Africa, but I will definitely put that towards the top of the list for when the kids are a little older and we can swing it.

1 Like

I think all inclusive resorts are the worst deal out there. Most things, including the wine, reduce to the lowest common denominator. If you don’t want to worry about meal and booze expenses, rent a villa and hire a chef. I have done some research and in many cases the cost is below the bloated pricing at all-inclusives and you get more space, more privacy and better food. Bring your own wine and you will drink MUCH better. Unless what you are looking for is organized activities and a bunch of resort amenities, you will have a far more relaxing, romantic and delicious experience this way.

I am a little biased because, the more people there are on the beach, the less I like it. But the advice is still sound.

Huh. That’s not a bad idea at all, and I think I’ll start looking into that a bit. Thanks for the feedback Sarah - good stuff and I appreciate it!

When we go with our kids (now teenagers) all inclusive for sure. No kids, not so sure would ever do it-unless adults only or super high end- and even then not so sure.