Recommendations needed for Calgary & Jasper

Will be in each place for about three days the middle of June. Any recommendations for places to see, eat, drink etc. would be appreciated. By the way, do you still need a jacket in June? TIA

So you very well may (probably will) need a jacket, especially early AM and evening. Gloves too!

I don’t know Calgary well (I just fly in and out), but Jasper is a favorite. Will be back there in September for the 6th time.

The Grizzly Paw Bakery is a must stop in Jasper for some breakfast treats and coffee. Love this place.

Restaurants are a bit hit and miss. It is not a foodie town, but Fiddle River Seafood is good. Papa George’s is also pretty good.

Check the Jasper trail reports, as trail conditions can affect what you will be able to see. Jasper National Park - Language selection

Maligne Lake is gorgeous.

The Icefields Parkway connects Banff to Jasper and is the most beautiful drive I have ever taken. Love it every time. Make sure you gas up before you get past Lake Louise.

I can offer more details depending on what you are looking for.

I would say to not worry about food or wine. And just focus on the surroundings. It’s an amazing place. Been several times and it’s never disappointed.
Thst said you really Aren’t gonna find much in terms of foodie land.

Jacket: yes for jasper especially if u go to the ice fields.
No for Calgary in June.
Have a light wind breaker is a safe choice tho

I’ve only used Calgary as a jumping off point for Banff and Jasper, no idea about Calgary.

Jasper really depends on activities planned. If hiking is planned, the weather is so unpredictable in the mountains that layering is best with synthetics and a rain jacket. My family was caught in a sudden snow flurry once in August while hiking and had to take shelter behind a large boulder for 20 min with another nice couple from Canada. Then cleared and we were on our way. It was cold but we were prepared.

One of my all time favorite trips was to Jasper and Banff. Was talking with someone who was from Alberta at one point and started to recount my trip – discovered tears welling up in my eyes. Definitely make a trip to the Athabasca Glacier. Never went to Calgary but drove through Edmonton quickly. We were there in August and needed jackets regularly. Thoroughly enjoyed all of the interpretive ranger talks we attended. I preferred Jasper’s low key vibe compared to the more touristy Banff.

Yep-sudden change is the rule rather than the exception. We have seen a foot of snow and 85 degrees within the same week.

David, thanks! Great info, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone, will be sure we bring some layers for our hikes.

Best thing to do in Calgary is to rent a car and drive to Banff for the three days (with a day trip to Lake Louise). You won’t regret the decision

Thanks, I’m going to need to stick to Calgary for the first part of the trip but will have some leeway to do some day trips.

Mike - if you are going to do some hiking, spend the $20 and pick up a copy of the book “Don’t Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies.” It is the best hiking guide I have ever read for the area, and I think I may have read them all.

Thanks, we will pick it up.

Just got back from the trip and WOW! Great time and wished we could have spent the entire week in Banff and Jasper although Calgary is a very nice city. We had a really nice lunch at Maple Leaf Grill in Banff but in Jasper we had an excellent meal of smoked bison bolognese at Syrah’s. They also do breakfast and its worth a visit just to eat their biscuits and tarts. Other places we visited were Evil Dave’s (great bison and wild boar meatloaf), Jaspers Brewing Company and Famoso’s Neopolitan Pizza.

We did a hike at Lake Louise which is gorgeous and a really serious hike of Bald Hills at Maligne Lake. Great advice by everyone to bring layers, there were a few times I wished I had a bit more with me especially when we did the tram to the top of Whistler’s Mountain on a day when it was only 20 degrees with wind and rain and even colder at the summit.

What can you say about the Icefield’s Parkway? Truly a monumental drive and was fortunate to see caribou, mountain goats, rams, elk and a black bear. Really enjoyed the people and diversity we came across everywhere we went and loved the exchange rates. Hope to get back soon. Thanks for the advice.