Le Sud de France

need some help–need restaurants in a couple cities in May–don’t need Michelin-rated every night, just solid French restos. Looking at Nice, St. Tropez, Avignon, and Aix-en-Provence. One night in each, two in Nice, three in Avignon. TIA.

we found st tropez to be a challenge, but spending the day at one of the beach clubs with some rose, ham, and melon is as good as it gets.

in aix, there’s cheap coche at la villa gallici where we stayed for a few nights.

http://lamerenda.net/La_Merenda_Site_Officiel/La_Merenda_Nice.html

We ate here 20 years ago when they were new and a few times after that. I see it is still popular. Quirky with very good food.

had the best Couscous of my life in Aix. A beautiful indoor courtyard.

Although Aix-en-Provence has never been known for its gastronomy, you can still eat reasonably well if you don’t set your expectations too high. The center of Aixois life is to be found on the Cours Mirabeau, a beautiful, tree-lined boulevard with banks and shops on one side and restaurants and cafes on the other. Locals, students and tourists alike inhabit the Cours throughout the day and evening, bringing color and energy to the place. Brasserie Les Deux Garcons is an institution, and the food is good, but overpriced. Service is gruff, but it is part of the appeal, according to old friends who live in Aix. I’ve had five or six meals at La Bastide du Cours. The cooking is good, the kitchen turning out typical Provencale cooking with some inventive touches. Service is generally good, but can be harried when the restaurant is full, which is almost always. The wine list features mostly the wines of the area, but you might want to try the red, white or rose of the highly regarded Chateau Simone, a producer just outside of Aix. The wines are delicious. La Bastide has a sidewalk terrace where you can have a leisurely meal while watching Aixois life pass by on the Cours.

If you like chocolate, look for those produced by Puyricard, a chocolatier located outside of Aix in the village of Puyricard. Quality is on the same level as Bernachon in Lyon. One taste of Puyricard’s chocolate truffles and you will not be the same.

Have a great trip!

Ask the locals.

For Nice I would recommend La Merenda and Les Pecheurs

Thats the truth - no amount of planning can beat this advice. Sometimes hard to wait until you arrive because you want everything to be so perfect but opportunities will always arise.

If you want to experience something special off the beaten path in the south of France - this place is special with wonderful food, very romantic inn and a great little town to explore - http://www.bastide-moustiers.com/?lang=en

You can’t go wrong in France - theres a reason its the number 1 tourist tourist destination in the world. Viva la France!

If you want to splurge near Nice, Chevre d’or is outstanding. Great view and environment. Not cheap but worth it

staying one night and eating at Chèvre d’Or already. All other options open. Thanks for all the great responses and info!

anyone eaten at Tetou? Jerry recommends it. Will try and get there for bouillabaisse.

La Bastide sounds great. We went wild in Lyon at Bernachon so another chocolatier sounds great also.

yes, and i suppose if you haven’t been then you should probably go. I can’t say whether it’s the best bouillabaisse, but it’s terrific. all cash, very expensive. but a nice old-school scene. Think Dan Tana’s in LA.

I’ve been to Toutou; it is the best boulliabase I’ve had. Haven’t ever been back though as I preferred the food in Nice; if you like seafood platters, Cafe de Turin in Nice is the bomb.
It’s been many years but in Avignon, there is Christienne Ettiene; ate their twice and it was amazing (but over 10 years ago)

love Dan Tana’s and eat there once a year, so we are in.

Keep the recs coming!

I find this to be quite an urban legend. it really depends who the locals are as most people have no idea on which are the good restaurants… Good thread though, I am actually going there myself at the end of April. Booked lunch at Beaugraviere so far and was looking at La Prieure in Avignon

bump for last minute suggestions and thanks to all who helped.

Alan,
If you are driving south from Lyon, stop at Le Chaudron in Tournon-sur-Rhône for lunch.

Yes, there is a report on that in Alan Rath’s recent thread complete with pictures, a menu, and report on an off-the-list Gonon.

nope–flying from Paris to Nice.