A FABULOUS meal in DC

I had been to Fiola once before, and remembered it as being excellent, but the meal we had there on Saturday was extraordinary. Service was relaxed, the setting was comfortable, and the prices . . . well, high. But the list had a great many sub-$100 options, most of which appeared to be at 2X or 2.5X retail or thereabouts. We had a Pio Cesare cortese di gavi and a wine I have never had (the 2008 Mascarello Langhe Freisa Toetto); they were both delicious. NOTE: they do not allow corkage on weekends, and even when they do, it is $50/btl.

In any event, the menu offered a lot of outstanding dishes, and I cannot recommend the place more highly. If you are looking for a high end dining experience downtown, this should be at the top of your list.

Amuse: English pea “panna cotta.” I am not a fan of peas; this was a demitasse of spring. Awesome
IMG_5995.jpg
First: lobster bisque (with a type of fish; I ever got the name)
IMG_5996.JPG
Second: tortellini filled with osso bucco and served with an AMAZING brown butter sauce and sweetbreads.
IMG_5997.jpg
Third: veal rib cap and foie gras
IMG_5998.jpg
I’ll leave out the dessert and cheese courses.

A great meal.

That looks seriously great, Neal.

Funny, I don’t picture you as the kind of guy who lines up his food to get the perfect shot (not judging).

It’s too bad we’ll miss it next weekend; going to be in and out of DC so no time.

Ha! I rarely do, but we were eating with one half of a couple we have known for decades and we wanted to make the other half jealous. It worked. (His mac and cheese did not quite measure up)

I should also underscore for out-of-towners that this is Fiola, downtown, and not Fiola Mare, the seafood restaurant in Georgetown. Same owner/exec chef, same level of execution. Both are outstanding (and expensive) choices.

I still think I like Rasika better over all, but this is a more lux place if you are looking to impress.

That looks like great but seems like a lot of food.

George

How rich is their saucing these days?

IT WAS!

The waiter suggested that the portions were small; I would have only order the 2 +dessert option. The 3+ was more than I needed, that’s for certain.

The tortellini was very rich. Absolutely incredible, but very rich