All inclusives

We have avoided all inclusive resorts because I would rather eat and drink less quantity of higher quality food and alcohol. Any resort that BB members have been to that have excellent food and top shelf drinks/wine?

Sandels but the wine isn’t top shelf.

I’d rate the food B+

For the number of views and paucity of replies, it looks like I should avoid all inclusive beach resorts.

I have had good food at several Iberostar resorts. The liquor has been fine (IMO-not sure of brands) too. We go to AI resorts for other reasons: ease of food options for kids and various palettes, plentiful alcohol, activities, shows, etc. No hassle vacations. Just nice to get away on vacation.

I’ve often wondered, Mont. I’m watching for responses too

in turks and caicos
not all inclusive- sorry

Nothing to offer directly on the subject (it is at the opposite end to my nerdy self-booked approach).

However I’ll throw an offbeat thought in, as others have posted here in recent times on the subject - cruises. There are certainly some upmarket cruises around, and in some ways they are the archetypal all-in resort (though with options to upgrade).

Mont,
This is a great topic that I have considered posting. I am looking for the same thing you are.

One comment, as far as I know, just about any all-inclusive will allow you to upgrade to a package that includes premium liquor.

I assume you’re looking at the islands (actually I saw you noted “beach” after I posted this) but here’s a great one in Montana - http://www.triplecreekranch.com

All inclusive but you can pay up for higher end wine off their list. Meals are very well done. I’m going back in a few weeks and can’t wait.

But the wine will be fine but not real fine.

I’ve been to many, some better than others. The best food wise has been

Liquor seems to be about the same everywhere at the higher end of the all inclusive spectrum. I don’t drink the wine.

1 Like

If you are looking for better wine options, cruises are the only place in my experience where you will find that option (Viking, Regent).

We spent several nights at the Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall, in Montego Bay, Jamaica, about a year ago. While this was our only stay at an all-inclusive resort, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of both the food and liquor. Alcohol brands we saw included Grey Goose (including several flavors), Bombay Sapphire and Patron and a nice assortment of Jamaican Rums. The wine selections were “meh” but we did drink a reasonable Burgundy with dinner at the “French” restaurant. There was an extra charge for the wine, but the mark up wasn’t unreasonable compared to typical US restaurant pricing.

As in most situations, the answer to this lies in how much you’re willing to spend. The mainstream all-inclusives (Sandals, RIU, etc.) are not going to serve top quality food, wine and drinks because that doesn’t work in their business model. They serve acceptable quality food, wine and drinks to a crowd that is seeking ease and convenience, never having to leave the resort and never having to sign for anything.

Upscale all-inclusives are available, however. The food and drink at Spice Island, Curtain Bluff and Jumby Bay are top notch (the house wines are generally better than the complimentary wines on Silversea, Seabourn and Regent cruises, but you may want to order off the reserve list at times). It will cost you, though. In season rates are $1200 to $2000 a night and up, per couple.

In the end we decided to go to the Southampton Princess in Bermuda and opted for a meal plan. Since I am in the Fairmont top tier, we were automatically guarantee a suite upgrade.

We are heading to the Riviera Maya soon (probably in/near Tulum) and we are considering an all-inclusive. I mentioned this to a few friends and, the ones who have been LOVED the experience. I’m parroting what they told me, but if you’re looking to explore all the time, maybe it’s not for you. But as I was told, it’s quite liberating to do nothing and completely decompress.

The all-inclusives where we are looking aren’t that much more pricey than the other nicer hotels. I think we’re going to pull the trigger with the idea of exploring after breakfast and then relaxing at the resort every afternoon. We’ll see how that works out.