Lyon

I don’t see any recent threads focused on Lyon. We’ll have a few days there – mixed biz & vacation.

Our first visit to Lyon too, so we’re open to all suggestions.

Where to dine?

What to see/do?

We will have a few evenings, a full Saturday, and maybe the prior Monday & Tuesday open.

-Steve

Villa Florentine has a nice restaurant. Try to see some traboules, which are centuries old passage ways in old town used by the silk trade between streets. The church on the top of the hill is interesting and has quite a view.

I just visited Lyon a few months back - beautiful city. We ate very well at Bocuse’s restaurant “L’auberge du pont des collonges” and Troisgros. Burgundy lists full of bargains. I shudder to think of visiting Lyon and not stopping at both!

The house of the Lumiere brothers is worth a visit as is the Guimot natural history museum.

Les Aldrets in Vieux Lyon. Delicious typical Lyonnaise menu. The prix fixe offerings are reasonably priced. It was recommended to us by a couple of well-regarded Cote Rotie producers in Ampuis. Tough to get into as plenty of locals seem to like it.

Bouchon Chez Georges is very trad and homey. Reasonable prices as well.

Great walking city!

We had a great meal at this place in the old city http://jeremygalvanrestaurant.com/ and you really should take the funicular up to Fourvière - Wikipedia Interesting visit of a cathedral on top of a cathedral and the views from the hill are amazing.

When we were in Lyon a couple of summers ago we ate at Le Bouchon des Filles and Le Nord and loved them both. We also had breakfast at Villa
Florentine each day (we were staying there, it’s a wonderful hotel). We did not care for Brasserie Georges which was too big and impersonal and the food was not good at all. While at Le Bouchon des Filles we sat next to Bill Buford and his adorable wife and had the best conversation. Lyon is a great walking city, don’t forget to walk up to see the cathedral. It’s spectacular and the views from up there are beautiful.

I like Les Adrets quite a bit.
The chef is quite good friends with the Jamet brothers.

Le Supreme recently opened and is worth a shot.

Philippe Pacalet recommended En Mets Fais ce Qu’il te Plaît to me.
It is often closed whenever I try and make reservation.

I loved Palegrie.
They recently moved out of town unfortunately.

The farmer’s markets are incredible, by the way.

Yes, the Sunday market along the river is great.

Also must visit http://www.halles-de-lyon-paulbocuse.com/

Lots of great suggestions. Keep them coming. Maybe we need to show up early the Sunday before or change our flight to leave on Monday!

Yes, indeedy. A dozen oysters, a few urchins, some shrimp and snails, a bowl of fish soup, and a small Saint-Marcellin for lunch at Maison Rousseau is a must.

If you like pizza, Pizzeria Puce is a great spot in Croix Rousse (take out only).

Go to Ampuls and Condrieu for a day trip. Les Adrets is good (and popular), make a resv. We also ate at Pierre Orsi and liked it a lot. Les Halles is another good rec. If you like chocolate Bernachon is your place.

1 hour to troisgros!

Troisgros. Thread closed.

If you have transportation to get out of the city, I highly recommend visiting Pérouges. It’s an ancient walled town about 20 miles or so north-east of Lyon. Very beautiful and historic. Do a search online and you’ll find information about it.

Here’s the TripAdvisor page for it: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187267-d1535812-Reviews-Cite_medievale-Perouges_Ain_Rhone_Alpes.html

Check out the photographs. It’s well worth it.

a beautiful day in lyon today

this is looking north up the river saône towards croix rousse
IMG_0357.JPG