Favorite Trip/Destination Of All Time?

My wife and I travel a ton. We’re young (37 and 35) and have been going on a big trip internationally every year since 2005. I have a few favorites.

1. Beach - El Nido, Philippines - absolutely unreal water, beach, diving, scenery.
  2. Non-Beach - Hoi An, Vietnam and Kathmandu, Nepal (tied).

Love to hear what others think and what type of vacations they take! We’re going to the Seychelles, Tanzania (safari), and Zanzibar this summer. Can’t wait to feed to addiction!

Beach - bora bora
Non beach - mountain gorilla trekking in Uganda, Galapagos cruise, or diving Red Sea (no beach just dive)

Hmmm …not so exotic but loved:

Beach - Jakes in Treasure Beach, Jamaica… being welcomed into the community, sleeping in a fun room open to the waves and sipping rum with Dougie

Non-beach - Montreal for fireworks, Chinese dragon boats and African music festivals plus tamtams …celebration of what a city really can be

and adding, when I need to recover from work and all, the Loews Coronado just makes me so insanely relaxed.

beach: Cancun
non-beach: San Sebastian

I’d go back to either in a heartbeat, and likely will

Beach Punta Cana or Playa del Carmen
Non beach The view from the Monseratte Church overlooking Bogota Colombia or driving the road to Hana with a side trip to visit Lindbergh’s grave site.

Nice! We did Bora Bora and Tikehau in 2013. Unreal. Except it was May, supposed to be great weather, and it stormed and rained our full 4 days in Bora Bora minus 30 minutes before sunset each night. We dove A LOT.

We also went mountain gorilla trecking in Uganda. Amazing!!! Saw a one week old baby.

Yah it’s amazing how human like they were. Sure was a lot of work for 1 hour of excitement tho! :slight_smile:

Btw. Zanzibar we went as part of Tanzania/Kenya trip to see the migration. Loved the resort, can probably skip the town :wink:

New Zealand, different great vistas and fun.
Best beach I’ve ever been on was was an eight mile (super-fine) black sand beach in Costa Rica. almost 20 years ago

The Almafi

Beach: Amalfi Coast Italy
Non beach: hiking in Colorado

Runner up: biking in Northern Italy and Southern France and maybe hiking the Douro in Portugal. Well, there was also that cool trip in…ah never mind. Travel is always great.

mediterranean cruise

japan

favorite beach: Cinnamon Bay, St John, USVI

The Far Side of the Moon

Not a fan of beaches. We’ve had many amazing trips. With a dominant focus on Asia.

Africa

Cairo right before the Arab Spring.
Botswana Safari (part of a month long trip that included Victoria Falls Zimbabwe, Capetown, Stellenbosch, Durban, Xululand, Hluhluwe–Imfolozi Park, Joberg, Pretoria, De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre)

Asia

Beijing is an amazing city. Multiple trips Great Wall Hike Simatai to Jinshanling, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, … Traffic! …
China has also brought us to X’ian (terracotta army), Chengdu (pandas), Kunming (Yunnan province), Shanghai, Shenzhen
Hong Kong (2 Michelin starred dim sum houses in Kowloon, … plus it’s Hong Kong)
Vietnam - two visits to Hanoi. Plus Ho Chi Min and the mekong delta.
Cambodia to see the ruins of Angkor in Siem Reap
Quite a few trips to Thailand. Particularly fond of the north
Luang Prabang in Laos (what a laid back town)
Indonesia - Jakarta & Bali
Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia
Singapore!
Seoul, South Korea
Tokyo & Kyoto Japan

Europe is amazing in it’s own right. We’ve yet to explore eastern Europe. On our bucket list.

If you have one place to visit that’s just different than anywhere else – head to Istanbul Turkey. You can visit Europe & Asia on a single visit just by crossing the Bosphorous.

Sandra has quite a few albums online here: Travel Galleries - graffitimagery

Enjoy.

-Steve

We trekked 3 hours each way, in a torrential downpour, with guides carrying AK47s. Not your everyday adventure but one I’d do again in a heartbeat!!!

Fantastic! And great photos. I’m a photographer too and get all my photos from travel.

currently,

beach - flamenco beach, culebra | tulum mexico
non-beach - croatia (all of it)

Burgundy for, well, Burgundy.

Israel. What an incredible combination of history, adventure, beach, food, etc.

This is good advice. Combine Istanbul, with a one-week, fully crewed charter out of Marmaris or Bodrum, add in a few days on the coast for Ephesus and maybe the Lycian ruins or go inland to Capadoccia. Book in late spring or early autumn and that’s a near perfect travel itinerary. Has it all, including amazing food.

Impossible question. But my gut feel says: Japan and Amalfi Coast.

Our two-week trip to Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc. was unrivaled in terms of food, culture, scenery, hospitality, photo opportunities, wow factor, luxury, etc etc. I can’t wait to return.

And what more can be said about the Amalfi Coast. It’s approximately perfect. I like to stay in Ravello, although you really can’t go wrong.

Honorable mentions include Istanbul, Barcelona, San Sebastian, and of course, Paris.

I need to do a lot more exploring in Asia.