First visit to London - with trip notes/ now planning second visit

Looking for recommendations for things to do/see/eat including standard tourist sights. Not too many high end meals as we’ll be economizing a little this trip but might be able to sneak one in.

So far the only things on my itinerary are a visit to Bubbledogs as I found the concept charming when they were at La Fete du Champagne and a visit to The Whiskey Exchange to make a few purchases.

We’ll be there from 4/8 to 4/15 and were thinking of taking the train down to Paris for a day. Any comments on how easy that is? It looks pretty straightforward and I’d love to take the Chunnel once in my life. And a lunch at Le Comptoir is very appealing.

The Ledbury was one of the best meals I’ve ever had. I believe Brett Graham is there often as he was the night I dined there. He was very gracious to my family and gave us a tour of the kitchen and talked to us for a bit. All around amazing experience.

Train to Paris is very straightforward from central London. Not cheap, but you save a bit if you buy significantly early. It would also make for a long day, but as long as you’re fine with that it’s doable.

Museums in London are the best economized activity, as they’re free! My favorites, all centrally located, are the National Gallery, British Museum, Victoria & Albert, Tate Britain, Courtauld Gallery, Royal Academy, and Wallace Collection. If you have less conservative tastes you can try the Tate Modern and Serpentine Gallery.

Plenty of “tourist” activities in London are also fun. I particularly enjoy the Tower of London, and Westminster Cathedral.

The Ledbury is meant to be the place to dine, along with the Chiltern Firehouse.

For wine you might visit Hedonism, which is widely over-priced, but has arguable the most opulent visible store inventory of any wine store in the world. Their enomatic machines also give you an opportunity to try all kinds of rare and expensive wines, for much less. The Sampler also has a great selection in their enomatic machines, and somewhat better prices. For history, visit Berry Brothers & Rudd. Still family owned and run, with a store on St. James’ Street – one of the toniest addresses in London.

Beyond that I think activities will depend on your interests. I love gardens and parks, so I always enjoy King James Park and Hyde Park. There is also plenty of world class classical music, ballet, and opera. London is also a great city for simply walking. Especially if you begin somewhere like Bloomsbury, and walk towards the river.

Finally, even in London you can find superb examples of classic British stately homes. If that’s something that interests you, let me know, and I’ll recommend a few.

*all written from the perspective of an American.

Take the train to Paris on 4/8, return on 4/15 :wink:

As Benjamin points out, the train to Paris is easy but it would be a very long day. His tourist recommendations are all good as well. I particularly like the British Museum and National Gallery. A few other ideas:

St. Martin in the Fields church on Trafalgar Square has classical music concerts in the evenings a couple of nights a week. It is a small, intimate space and I’ve always enjoyed going there.

St. Paul’s Cathedral is a favorite. Behind the alter is a tribute to American support in WWII which is great to see and Nelson and Wellington are interred in the crypt.

Across the Thames from St. Paul’s is the Tate Modern which has a very nice bar/restaurant up top that has great views of St. Paul’s and the City and had a decent wine list the last time I was there.

I love to run in the parks in central London.

Yep

Magical

All suggestions so far are excellent. I might consider going to the theater. It’s a fun experience and I remember shows debuting there before NYC.

Also, afternoon tea is a really fun experience. Just make sure that you make dinner reservations on the late side that evening.

Consider Indian food. Lotsa fun options for a cheaper style meal.

My first visit to London I did the museums - National Gallery and Tate were wonderful - and while around that area, I thought it quite a treat to go to tea at Fortnum & Mason’s. It was the perfect little taste.

IIRC we had tea at F&M as well and I loved every second of it. We also had tea at Brown’s Hotel which was an absolute blast.

For cocktail bars I would recommend:
Nightjar
Oriole (Nightjar’s new bar)
Artesian

Some wine bars to check out:
Noble Rot
10cases
Sager + Wilde
Gordon’s Wine Bar (London’s oldest wine bar)

Some restaurant recommendations:
Goodman (Steak)
Koya Bar (Japanese standard Udon)
Pitt Cue Co. (BBQ)
Barrafina (Spanish Tapas)
Lyle’s (Modern British)
Duck and Waffles (For its 40th floor views)

And of course check out the museums and beautiful parks there!

In addition to those already mentioned, I enjoying going to Borough Market, and having a sausage roll at The Ginger Pig, especially if they are warm from the oven. If you’re going to Whisky Exchange, you’ll be right there anyway. And Monmouth Coffee at Borough Market is great - we always bring 3 kilos of their espresso roast home and vacuum seal it, or Jonathan starts going into withdrawal.

Tower of London is a must but plan for several hours. If it’s a nice day and you’re not afraid of heights, the London Eye offers a great view of the city. Speakers Corner in Hyde Park is worth a quick visit to hear discourse on a variety of topics. Walk through Harrods and see the amazing variety of goods.

I’m not sure you have enough time but see if you can get tickets to the closing ceremony at the Tower.
It is called The Ceremony of the Key It is limited to less then 40 people per evening and usually attained through your Senators office. Well worth the effort and very interesting.

LOL, we intend to spend one night in Paris to make things easier, mainly to have lunch at Le Comptoir. If I can get a reservation we might do lunch at L’Arpege before heading back to London.

Wow, thank you everyone!

In my experience, the train is much cheaper if you book it from the US–and I’d assume the sooner the better.

Another thing, I took some young friends to Westminster Abbey last year. First time I’d been there in many decades; and beforehand I was thinking “well I’ve seen all that, it will probably be a bit boring.” Was I ever wrong. The scale of history seen through the gravestones and markers was absolutely overwhelming, so much accomplishment and genius in so many fields–politics, literature, science, on and on.

Oh yeah–do you like theater? London is a great place for that.

Include some pubs. The Only Running Footman is one of our favorites
Tea at Claridge’s is spectacular and pricey. Go at 5 and it will suffice for dinner. Easy to then go to a show. Charley and the Chocolate Factory is superb.
The Eye is great if you are not afraid of heights.
If you are a history buff Churchill’s War Room and Wellington’s House are excellent.
Tour St. Paul’s in the late afternoon and stay for Even Song. Ditto for Westminster Abbey.