Oregon Coast + more in Aug

So - we are planning our trip to Oregon for this Aug (5th-20th tentatively). We will have 2 weeks - and there will be three of us (including our 9 yearold)
(will be editing this post as time passes to reflect the ideas)

The current plan is to begin at Portland (few days there and around - would love to get together)
Then continue down the Oregon coast - with a stop or 2 (ideas for best “cities” to stop?)
On to Crater Lake (should we book something right there? or is it too crowded/not worth it?)
Then up - to Bend and back to Portland (either to fly out or stay depending on what is scheduled).
We have lots of time for stops/hikes/etc - and we like to do as much as we can. We are comfortable with 2 good hikes a day plus whatever else comes along.

Would like ideas for :
Places to stay: both cities and B&B/Hotels / AirBnB
We are very low maintenance. Grab a backpack and go.

Food (heh of course - beers too but we prefer low hops/sours/saisons)
Oysters? please! :slight_smile:

Hikes and Nature Preserves etc - love doing those - perhaps some fishing as well?

Also - will be renting a car for the period - any ideas on a)from whom b) which car? i am thinking with this trip may need a small suv type? not exactly offroading but … let me know

thanks guys!

If you make it as far as the extreme southern coast Mikhail please reach out and we will host dinner and open some bottles. We have a 6 y/o son so very child friendly.

Beer tour of our four local producers available as well!!

Glenn - we will be there for sure. we are headed to Crater lake and likely to spend a night at least in Ashland area

Mikhail,
I lived on the the North Coast of Oregon for a couple of years (actually owned a house there for 10). Here are some ideas for that part of the coast (from north to south):
Astoria is a nice little city with a good beer scene (Fort George and Buoy) and a couple of good restaurants, one being Albatross.
Cannon Beach is nice but very touristy.
Manzanita is a smaller version of Cannon Beach with a nicer beach and a lot fewer crowds.
Tillamook has a very good beer scene, with the Pelican production facility and DeGarde - one of the few true cult breweries in Oregon. DeGarde primarily makes barrel-aged sours, most of which are only available at the Brewery. There are really no places worthwhile to eat in Tillamook, though you can get a tour and a snack at the Tillamook cheese factory on the north side of town. This is also a good place to get oysters.
West and continuing south from Tillamook is the Three Capes region. There are lots of good hike in here. My favorite is the hike out to the end of Cape Lookout. Cape Lookout is a tongue of basalt that sticks about three miles out into the Pacific. Lots of very large old growth Douglas Fir and terrific views.
Pacific City is the home to the Pelican Brew Pub. It gets very busy in the summer and the food is only OK. The Delicate Palate is a very good place to eat. Off the beach at the Pelican Brewpub is one of Oregon’s many Haystack rocks. This one distinguishes itself from the rest by being the third largest rock monolith in the world (it doesn’t look that big, but it’s a mile off shore).
Cascade Head is between Pacific City and Lincoln City, and is another good place to hike. The roads into the top are closed in the summer (protecting the silver spot butterfly), so the only way in is to hike up on the south side. This is a very strenuous hike (1,000 ft in elevation gain) but the views are spectacular on a nice day.
From Lincoln City south, there is a lot more traffic and hardly any worthwhile beer places. Lincoln City stretches along the coast for about six miles and can be somewhat tedious to get through. From north to south, Blackbird, Bay House, and Salishan Lodge are all excellent dining options, as is Restaurant Beck, about 5 miles south of town.
Newport is the next city. It is home to the Rogue Brewery, the Oregon Aquarium, and the Oregon State Marine Science Center.
Further south, my knowledge is somewhat limited, but Cape Perpetua is pretty cool and has lots of hiking options.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Rick! and will post some updates on where and when we will be- including a night in McMinnville for sure - glad to shake a few hands with fellow Beserkers

To get to Crater Lake, a beautiful place to spend a day or two, you have to go considerably east from the coast.
You might consider including Bend in the loop. Lots of breweries there, and it is a big change from the usually foggy and windy coast.

I also usually try to avoid driving the entire length of the Oregon coast, although I’ve done it. The curvy road can be exhausting and frustrating when crowded.

P Hickner

Oh Rick you got to come down and taste our four: Misty Mountain, Tightlines, Chetco & Arch Rock. Not H-A but all brew pretty lively beers with something for everybody.

I know…

Stop at Luna Sea (Lunacy . . .) for great fish and chips in Yachats.

I grew up in the state, and when I was your kid’s age, I loved beachcombing at low tide. One of the nicer beaches for that is at Tillicum Beach Park near Waldport. Also loved tidepools: http://oregontidepools.org/popular_tidepools

I enjoyed walking the paths in the national forests, such as Siuslaw. And climbing the dunes in Florence.

More out of the way are the John Day fossil beds, but they are pretty darn cool for a kid.

Bring a variety of clothing. Bend is hot in August, but the coast remains cool.

sounds great guys. keep 'em coming.

we will take about a week for just the coast drive - breaking it up into sections and exploring.

In Bend, the Oxford Hotel is a good home base.

In terms of restaurants, Ariana is far and away the best restaurant in town.
900 Wall and Five Spice are both fairly good as well.

btw seems even 7mo out we are too late for Crater Lake Lodge.
were able to book Diamond Lake Lodge (but the reviews seem terrible… )

Diamond Creek Lodge is great for snowmobiling in the winter . . . summer, not so much.

Yeah Crater Lake Lodge books more than a year in advance. However, there are occasionally some cancellations; the reservation system is bad, but checking back every once in a while can sometimes get you in a room even on short notice. It’s worth a try for sure. Otherwise Mazama Motor Inn is the other lodging option apart from camping. Crater Lake is very, very cool.

Rick covered the north part of the coast pretty well; going further south just north of Newport at the Whale Cove Inn is high-end lodging and the only thing close to fine dining for miles - Restaurant Beck. In Newport there are some nice eating spots (La Maison for breakfast/lunch; Local Ocean Seafood for lunch, and sometimes Ocean Bleu and Saffron Salmon for dinner). The Sylvia Beach Hotel can be fun and funky and is fairly unique for the coast. If you stay near Depoe Bay or Newport and have a kitchen you can sometimes get fresh seafood from the docks, although August is low season for it for sure.

Things south of Newport are spotty for lodging and food, but great for recreation and sightseeing. The Sea Lion Caves south of Newport are very kitschy but your 9-year old would probably like it. Nice pullover spots include Devil’s Churn, Devil’s Elbow and Heceta Head park. Waterfront Depot restaurant in Florence is kitschy but decent. The dunes just south of Florence (Cleawox Lake/Honeyman Park area) and near Reedsport are very cool and kids love playing around on them. On the southern coast Tu-Tu-Tun Lodge on the Rogue River is the high end option.

It’s not easy to cut over to Ashland if you get south of Coos Bay unless you dip into California and come up through Cave Junction. Near Jacksonville/Applegate Valley area are a number of decent wineries, especially Cowhorn (biodynamic).

You can see all the Sea Lions you want on the docks in Newport. The sea lion caves are stinky, noisy, and a tourist trap.
I consider the jet boat rides on the Rogue to be all that too, but they could be a highlight for a 9yo.

If you have never been in a redwood grove, the dip down into CA and back up the American River is worthwhile, as is a side trip to the Oregon Caves, and as is stopping at Cowhorn.

P Hickner

Cowhorn definitely a worthwhile stop en route to Ashland.

If no one has mentioned it yet, the stretch of coast near Bandon and south is near tops on the entire Pacific coast.

P Hickner

Yes, it ranks right there with the area south of Big Sur.

Mikhail
Another place to think about staying near Crater Lake (probably an hour away) is the Steamboat Inn. It is one of the most beautiful/peaceful places in Oregon. Lots of good hiking, the fishing is superb (it is primarily a fishing place).

Edit to add that Google Maps way overestimates the time. The most direct road is closed this time of year because of snow.