One night in New Orleans, what restaurant is killing it right now

Hi all. I have read the many New Orleans threads. I have myself asked and been rewarded with responses in the past. But some of those are outdated, some restaurants now closed. I’m curious as to which nice restaurants in New Orleans are really killing it right now. my short list at the moment is

August
Cochon
Delmonico’s
Herbsaint.

Would be happy to hear of any of those or any others that are killing it. Doesn’t have to be high-end either if there is something worth checking out.

Thanks, and I apologize for the overlap on prior threads but really wanted a current read.

Herbsaint rocked when we were there in August.

Anyone have thoughts on Kenton’s, Tana, N7 or Compere Lupin?

I would say Shaya is killing it now. August is really good too with a good wine list! For good vibes, I would recommend Arnaud’s Jazz Bar, good jazz and decent food.

A friend whose palate I respect was just down there. From Facebook, it appeared he did nothing but eat. Here is his commentary: “August, R’evolution, Gautreau’s were all standouts for sit down restaurants. However if you like molecular gastronomy and tasting menus, and price is not a concern, Square Root was amazing, and was the real memorable experience!”

Was there recently and would say Peche is killing it for sure - that would be my choice as long as you like seafood. Shaya is awesome and exemplary of the few restaurants in the country that are doing really interesting takes on Israeli/middle eastern food. Been to Herbsaint many times and its always excellent, same with Cochon. Compere Lapin is interesting but I don’t think quite in the same league. We tend to avoid the “fancy” places - so haven’t been to August. Arnaud’s? Meh.

I’m a big fan of La Petite Grocery. But if I were heading back, I’d want to try Shaya mostly because I’ve eaten at most of the other places mentioned. As an aside, I didn’t love Peche…but then again I had just spent several days stuffing myself so maybe I was all fooded out.

Just got back from New Orleans last week. Went to August and while it was overall a good experience I can’t say I was particularly impressed or eager to return. Certainly had some very good courses on the prix fixe menu but some misses as well. Venison was way over salted and roasted cauliflower pretty bland and boring. It just seemed liked I could have been at any other fine dining restaurant in the country and wish the food had a more local feel to it. Service was excellent and a $20 corkage was a plus. Would give it another chance but the stand out for us was Restaurant Revolution. We had a great jazz brunch on Sunday there and would be very eager to return for a dinner service. Death by gumbo is one of their signature dishes and I would highly recommend it. Sounds like they are planning to open a 3rd location in Chicago sometime in the near future. If you head out of the city towards the national park Sal’s in Marrero does an awesome crawfish boil. Much cheaper and tastier than in the French Quarter.

Thank you all for the input. After quite a bit of research I was leaning towards Coquette, Lilette or Kenton’s. However, we were staying in the CBD and my party wanted to walk, so we did Herbsaint. The service was very good, the wine list was decent, and the patio seating was excellent. However, the meal left me lukewarm. The curry goat sausage app was very good, and the gumbo of the day was good, but the entrees were, frankly, middling. Overall a nice experience but I wish I’d pressed for one of the other choices.

I will remember Revolution in the future as I may be back again for work soon.

I should add that I just plain love everything about New Orleans. It is my favorite city in the US.

Thanks Brad. Peche was on my short list as well so I will keep this in mind for future trips.

my best meals were at August and Cochon. Compere Lapin more notable for their cocktails and Toups Meatery fun if you don’t get that kind of thing at home. Note the revamped menu at Brennan’s and my thread on their wine cellar here: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1864598#p1864598

Peche and most of the Link Group places are rocking, and Shaya is awesome.

When I was in NO last year…I went to August and though I enjoyed it ok, I thought it was “generic” for its kind, and don’t remember much about it, and would not return. And service was too hovering, with different people coming by all the time, so it got confusing. Overall, my most memorable meal was, surprisingly, at Galatoire’s. I still remember almost all aspects of it. It was surprising, since I had been there many times before…always enjoyed it, but wasn’t wowed. For me, it’s hard to beat classic and fresh ingredients prepared expertly.

I look forward to trying Shaya…as people in this thread…and others, earlier have raved about it. And, a friend I trust just came back and was wowed.

August is an amazing experience top to bottom. Great food, great service, lovely atmosphere. Don’t miss it.

To each his own.

I know others agree with you…and me.

One thing I thought at the time was that I didn’t really feel anything “New Orleans” about it. It was fungible. More so than in any other city, I value that “New Orleans” element down there.

If you go to August be sure to get the banana pudding.

Peche without a doubt. Unfortunately your list is now a tourist top 5 more than anything. While us locals appreciate the crowds staying away from the real gems of the city, it saddens me that The old guard has done little to nothing to “come to age” and while still should be tried by everyone at one point, don’t expect the mind blowing experience so many have come to expect in nola

Chris, Brennan’s has taken some steps to move from old to new, jus tone example though, I’d largely agree with the balance of your sentiment.

Chris: Interesting comment…so which neighborhood gems would you suggest? I was there last year and really did enjoy Herbsaint, Lilette, Coop’s, Domilise, Drago’s (Metarie),and the unfortunately departed Iris. In addition, we went to August for my wife’s birthday (party of six) and they treated us like royalty.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Has anyone tried the Green Goddess Cafe recently. My buddy was there a few years back and really liked it. I will be down there (New Orleans) later this month. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Terry