Any Recent Barcelona Dining Experiences?

We’re heading to Barcelona as a family in two weeks. I’ve read all the old threads, which are very helpful. But nothing has been posted about Barcelona restaurants in the past year. Does anybody have any new recommendations or updates to old ones? Any new members have any insights to share? Our list of places to consider currently consists of the following:

Cervecería Catalana
BotaFumeiro
La Pepita
El Xampanyet
Quimet & Quimet
Cal Pep
Tapas 24
Passadis del Pep
Casa Delfin
Arume
Monvinic

We’re traveling with two small kids. It’s my understanding that kids are welcome just about anywhere in Barcelona, but we’re obviously going to take them into account both in terms of where we eat and at what time. They are generally fine in nice restaurants, but we’re not looking for truly fine (i.e. Michelin *) dining, tasting menus, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are heading to Spain late this spring so will be interested to see your updates.

Tickets is one that we are looking at that is not on your list. I have heard nothing but great things from friends who have gone, plus it might be fun for the kids.

George

Our kids were 11 and 9 at the time of our last trip to Barcelona two years ago. One is a very picky eater. The only place on your list we went to was Tapas 24. We went twice, at the insistence of the picky younger son. It can be a bit of a wait because it’s fairly busy, but we all loved it and they were very kid friendly.

I would scratch Passadis del Pep from your list- it is a 3-4 hour meal and don’t think it would be good for kids. For adults- its awesome.

Barcelona is generally overpriced for what you get, especially in the center. A lot of restaurants that had a good reputation a year or two ago start cutting corners to maximize profits. Also, simply do not trust Tripadvisor. What isn’t gamed by the restaurants is just completely incorrect.

Nix Cal Pep from the list. There’s pretty much always a lengthy line and the quality is way, way down from what it used to be as it’s just trading on the fame.

Monvínic was a good spot. They’ve pretty much changed over to being a restaurant more than a wine bar and I was seriously uninspired by the price/quality ratio.

El Llamber next to Mercat del Born was good, not sure as to its state since having last eaten a year ago.

Oh and the dishes at the market in El Born 500 are actually quite solid. Good place for a quite bite.

Lluerna out in the Santa Coloma neighborhood has been quite good for some time.

Also, you will probably see a lot of mention to try Bar Brutal on Carrer Princessa. Unless you’re really, really, really (yes, three reallys) like natural wines, avoid it like the plague. Prices for food are ridiculous and the only wines they serve at the most faulty, scorchingly acidic of the natural offer.

In addition to some of those mentioned, I really enjoyed Paco Meralgo a few years ago. Upscale but authentic and delicious tapas in a fun environment.

Thanks to those of you who have responded already. I’m intrigued/concerned about Miquel’s comments, particularly since the eateries I’ve been considering have all been open for some time. Is this “profit-taking” phenomenon something relatively new, or has Barcelona in your experience always been like that? Given your experience, do you have any recommendations for brand-new places that are still establishing a reputation?

I’m also still interested in recommendations/comments from others who haven’t weighed in. Thanks!

Miguel,

Any reason in particular you think that the restaurants in Barcelona are in it to maximize profit? Certainly this is always the case with some restaurants in any big city but it seems like an over generation unless there is something going on in Barcelona that is not going on in other large European cities.

Thanks,

George

We really enjoyed Monovinic for lunch when we were there two months ago. They have an exceptional international wine selection and their staff were very knowledgeable. I found the lunch set menu pricing an excellent value.

We are going in November so I am also very interested in impressions. Taking 2 adult children with us and plan to rent an apartment. I would appreciate advice on apartments and best locations to rent.

I suggest you concentrate on lunch. Starting an evening meal at 9 pm plus will be tough.

Quick report:

1. Monvinic is amazing. A MUST VISIT for any wine lover. Among other things, we enjoyed an 1862 Madeira by the glass.
  2. El Xampanyet is all that. Great food, great atmostphere, and friendly. Lots of tourists but lots of locals too. Just show up a few minutes before opening or plan on waiting awhile.
  3. Bar Pinotxo is also a must visit. We went twice for “brunch.” Excellent both times.
  4. Tapeo is meh. It feels like it exists solely to capture people who are tired of waiting to get into El Xampanyet.
  5. Barcelona has several stellar Doner Kebab choices.
  6. 7 Portes is completely touristy, but we really enjoyed it. It’s a fun spot for something different and very old school.

Great stuff!

The fun thing about pinotxo dining is the Spaniards will hit 4 or 5 places. Have a drink and a pinotxo then off to the next place. Keep moving.

George, sorry I hadn’t seen your reply until today.

Essentially, due to the property prices in Barcelona going sky high due to foreigners buying up places and paying the prices that are way beyond what any local can afford, the only thing that can cut a profit these days are restaurants. I’ve seen more than one person say, “I have five tapas places on my block but no butcher.” And restaurants are profitable because of the masses of tourists who will eat just about anywhere.

I’m not sure if you live in Barcelona, but unless you’ve seen it firsthand, it may not seem like it as for Americans or Brits, it doesn’t seem “that pricey” but when you get down to what they’re serving and what they charge for it, it’s outlandish.

Heading of to Barcelona for a few days meeting friends, then up to Sant Antoni de Calonge near Palamos for a month with friends and family just to hang out with the kids and grandkids. Eats will be geared to the younger crowd though my 14yo grand daughter is quite the gourmand and playing soccer has given them big appetites. Even the 2yo can put away a prodigious amount of food. I think we will consume prodigious amounts of rosé if past gatherings are an indication.

Dinner for five with wine. 85 euros in Barrio Gotic. We are easily pleased if the food is good. [cheers.gif]

The cost of high quality food and wine in Barcelona and a lot of Spain is quite amazing.

George