Dining in Zijuatanejo

Sorry if I misspelled the town name. Lynne and I have not been for 5 years as we’ve been exploring other parts of the Pacific side of Mexico. Very excited to return to our spot on playa madera that we call ‘re grassy knoll’. (Anyone else we ever been to Cass Eugenia?).

Anyway we like more mom/pop places rather than fancy. Los Braceros, La Sirens Gorda, El Vira ( on playa la Ropa) Rosies (at end of la Ropa) are some of are usual spots.

We don’t ever seem to make it over to Ixtapa as it just seems gringo land.

I remember Bob Wood waxed on about some spots.

A couple of threads, including the one Todd mentions:

Thanks folks, I was starting to wonder if I wasn’t welcome in the forum!

As a heads up, I seem to recall the waves break off very hard and suddenly. I remember getting face planted a couple of times while body surfing.

Thanks Ron. Zihjauatenjo and especially Playa Madera are quite protected. One of our favorite things is a morning swim after coffee. Ixtapa has the reputation of rough surf! Man, I’m ready for 10 days of goofing off!

Ixtapa is a great stretch of beach to walk. 10 days is the perfect number. 7 isn’t enough, but 14 in the same place is a little long.

Roger that good buddy. We like to walk down to the end of playa LA ropa and take the day walking back to Madera.

Per Bob Wood

Zihuatanejo

Have a great trip!

amen to that. watched a woman in zihua get her nose broken badly, and as she came up bleeding got smashed into the sand again.
culinarily, i can remember really good sipping tequilas and lots of cubanos at decent prices, but not much great food other than a really nice lunch at casa que canta

Timely post, as I’ve been eying a Ixtapa or Zihua trip recently. Haven’t pulled the trigger but definitely on our short list. I’ve always much preferred the Pacific coast of Mexico, having really liked Manzanillo area in the past.

We did Manzanillo a couple of years ago. Never really felt that welcome there. Seems like a spread out port town with no center. I like Puerto Vallarta for a town to hike around and explore. For us Zihjauatenjo is magic. Fun and safe walking at all hours, pretty clean water for swimming, fun mom and pop eating places

Casey. I was a bit younger when we did Manzanillo, but what you mention is in part what I liked, which is to say that it was very much not a tourist trap. This was also before Mexico was seen as the danger it has been on and off for the past ten years or so. We stayed north of there in a resort area frequented mainly by Canadians. The beach was beautiful, private and is where we spent most of our time.

Pretty hard to NOT have fun here.
IMG_20160222_075223165_HDR.jpg

Haven’t been able to get there in years but loved it then. Good to see some old names again! Hopefully it’s still as good as ever. A dozen tortillas fresh off the press, some avocado, lime and Oaxacan string cheese from the mercado, and it’s our perfect breakfast.

Already had a few great meals. The dollar/peso situation is good. Thinking of y’all after a couple cocktails and stumbling to dinner.
IMG_20160224_184505.jpg

Funny sight this morning. Guys down by the docks buying a fish and playing checkers. Bottle caps as their pieces.
IMG_20160227_113151.jpg

The worm getting in the way??? Updates seem to be missing.

[basic-smile.gif] [basic-smile.gif] [basic-smile.gif]

As a matter of fact we did over do it the other night. A couple of pops at the room, a couple of pops and great dinner at Daniels, dancing at Daniels, walked down the strip and spotted an old bartender buddy Arturo at Puerto di Mare. Had a few laughs and shots at his place. Almost didn’t have enough cash on hand by then. Kinda made for a fuzzy day yesterday. Walked back last night and dined at Puerto di Mare and had a killer meal. Cut back on the hooch and leaned towards Albarino. Ate myself to oblivion. We’ve had a few other great dining stops. Will try to recap in the next few days. Today is our last full day.

Very jealous. I so miss not visiting Mexico this year. Glad to know your having a great time.