Winery/tasting room/other goings on in Silicon Valley/SCM

Visiting some friends for dinner in Sunnyvale one of our days in SF, want to figure out a winery or two to visit (or a tasting room in one of the towns) on the way. It’s a bit unfortunate how awful the SC Mountain wine trail page is, they have no good maps. Any other activities between SF and that area welcome too, or towns to stop and walk around/have lunch/etc in welcome as well! Will have our toddler with us.

I would hit up Big Basin’s tasting room in Saratoga open Th to M and stop by Michael Martella and Michaud Vineyards tasting room right next store open Th to Sun. Another option would be to visit Testarosa in Los Gatos.

A big second on Testarossa; besides the tasting room you can also sit outside and sip wines. I’ve not been to Big Basin; had a hard time finding it. You can keep going in that direction and hit Ridge; Sunrise/Pichetti (not sure of the current name) is at the bottom of the hill on the way to Ridge. It is a very scenic spot with a creek and peacocks walking the grounds. Wines are just ok.

You could also head the other way to S Cruz when you leave Testarossa. Storrs has a nice tasting room and there is a complex (name escapes me) with a number of tasting rooms, breweries, coffee shops, etc. You could spend a few hours there.

I recommend Thomas Fogarty. Just a bit south of Woodside. Beautiful views, good wines, and remarkably reasonable prices. DavidZ went there recently and raved about it in another post.

Some of it might be nostalgia, but I’d also consider taking a stroll down University Ave. in Palo Alto and getting a milkshake at the Palo Alto Creamery.

Yep, can’t recommend Fogarty highly enough.

Sadly we were there on a tuesday when Fogarty was closed. We ended up just going to Cooper Garrod, which I’ve never seen mentioned here (or anywhere really). Nice property just outside saratoga, and they have horse stables too, which my daughter loved. The wines were decent, not amazing or anything. We also stopped at the cinnabar tasting room, not a fan of those wines at all.