Paris -- CDG-- Car Rental Companies

All,

I have been a creature of habit when it comes to renting a car at CDG. So, I figured I would post a note to see if anyone has had good/bad experiences in case I should consider a switch.

Obviously, I would like to get the best price, but would pay a bit more for a smooth hassle free experience. The company needs to be in Terminal 2. . other than that, I’m not tied into any one company.

Thoughts?? Need more information?

Thanks in advance.

Howard

I am fond of Sixt.

Typically rent in the city though rather than at the airport.

We also have used Sixt in Paris. Europecar is another good option

Just be sure to use one with cars onsite. Most do. We used sixt via Holiday Autos last year. Short walk to the car park.

I mentioned this question to a friend who had a bad experience with Europcare. He sent me this link:

I’ve used Autoeurope for years because the travel agency I use has sufficient juice with them to get good rates and help resolve any problems. Like the time a highway rock broke the window of the Prius we rented in Zurich and Autoeurope replaced it with a MBZ in Germany and waived the €2000 cost (before I started using Amex’ great car rental insurance).

get a chase sapphire, the visa signature gives free car rental insurance opposed to Amex’s paid insurance! :smiley:

I believe the Chase program is a collision damages waiver reimbursement, not primary insurance like that provided by Amex. Can you point me to the Chase benefit language? Thanks,

I’ve used both Hertz and Avis. Booking in advance can often get you pretty good rates with even the big companies.

According to the Chase site, “Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad”.

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/credit-card-benefits.htm

The info is about 2/3 of the way down the page under the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver header.

I’ve pretty much used them all and I find Hertz to be the best. Shorter pick-up line, newer cars, easy return. I’ve never had a problem with a Hertz rental so I can’t give you any feedback on that part.

Thanks to All,

Hertz is my usual go-to and I’ve had good experiences with them . .I was curious if I have been missing something.

Howard

Thanks for posting, didn’t see mark’s question till now

To piggy back on what mark said, use auto Europe to create the quote for hertz. It was significantly cheaper when I was in Provence opposed to using hertz directly.

Yes, thanks.

One thing to note: if you reserve from a computer based in Europe, you’ll get the European rates and more importantly, the European mileage limits (many European rental companies charge by the kilometers driven).

If you reserve from a US-based computer, no worries about that.

Also the European sites usually include insurance for auto europe. So it ends up being cheaper to provide your own insurance and book from the US based site

Really? In literally 100 or so European car rentals I can only remember 2-3 mileage (kilometerage :wink: ) restrictions.

My advice is to always use a discounter/consolidation site like Holiday Autos, you practically always end up with a better rate at (say) Hertz than if you booked direct (assuming you don’t have a large corporate discount or similar).

Thanks guys . . great tips. . . keep 'em coming!!

:slight_smile:

Only issue with this method is that you can’t get them to set you up with Gold status through Auto Europe. It might not make a difference all the time, but when you are late and tired from a long flight and there’s a huge line at the Hertz counter, it’s nice to have your name on the board and the keys in the car. I fly into Milan a lot and often have a lunch reservation same day a 2 hour drive away, so the ease is worth it. Also, I have not been able to get points for the rental credited to my Hertz account if I don’t book through Hertz directly. Might not matter to you, just things to consider.