Anyone Been To Le Gavroche?

Heading to London this week and plan on doing some fine dining. A restaurant that’s been on my bucket list for decades is Le Gavroche, which was first established in 1967. I’d be interested in tales from anyone who’s eaten at this establishment. Last time I was in London a couple of years ago I dined at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon and it was the finest meal I have ever experienced. Incredible!

Yes, very good if you stick to the classics, but I doubt you will get a table as such short notice.

Secured reservations for Friday. I have connections! [cheers.gif] [training.gif]

Thanks for the tip on going with the classics, although I don’t have an issue with modern French cuisine.

I only went there once, in 2003, we had a great time raiding the excellent wine list. I doubt they’ve modernized in the 12 years since I was there, but anything is possible. The menu was very traditional, as was the wine list. I’d be shocked if they have a 25 year old, hipster sommelier who has replaced all the white Burgundies with Txakolinas, Gravinas and Furmints. Enjoy your dinner there.

In this video Michel interviews the Somm. Looks to be in his early to mid 30’s and I think you’re spot - he hasn’t replaced the white Burgundies for Txakolinas!

I’ll give my review when I get back. Going to Scotts on Mount St. tomorrow night. [cheers.gif]

I haven’t been in years and only for lunch. Very good! I do think that I have had room service from there as I believe food for 47 Park Street came from there. At least I hope that is where the $50 hamburger came from.

I was there in 2006 and it was absolutely wonderful. I was up at Oxford and a good friend I hadn’t seen in a while was at LSE; we met for lunch and I think we were there for 4 hours! Wonderful food, gracious wait-staff. Great memory.

We have dined there several times over the last several years. Our favorite London restaurant. Have the cheese soufflé.

Back from my trip to London.

Le Gavroche was absolutely fantastic - first class all the way.

Here’s a review:
Decor and ambience - Classy, intimate and beautifully decorated. The plates and silverware were beautiful as was the table setting. Everything was perfectly placed and elegant.
Service - There was an army of people serving our table, so nothing was left unnoticed and service timing was prompt and unobtrusive. This was an educated and well trained group. The dishes were covered and in unison removed by the servers. The Somm was excellent and the wine service was both entertaining and unique. We had a wonderful bottle of Champagne to kick things off and magnificent 2009 E. Guigal Syrah with our meal.
Food - The French take dining to a level that is higher than the rest of the world. Every dish was presented with style and beauty and the flavor/seasoning was spot on. I started with a fantastic Foie Gras and elegant cheese soufflé. Both were outstanding. For the main course I had Veal in a black truffle sauce. Again, simply amazing. For dessert we had a cheese course with Port. Every cheese was out of this world good.

As outstanding as this meal was, I’d rate it slightly below L’Atelier De Joel Robuchon.