Everglades

I’ve got a day to kill (1/1/2016) before a Caribbean Cruise that starts the following day. I asked the kids (9 and 11) if they’d rather do a day trip down to the Keys or visit the Everglades. Both of them picked the Everglades. I’ve driven across Tamiami Trail a bunch of times but have never ever stopped in the park. We’ll be staying over in either Fort Lauderdale or Miami so I was thinking we could visit the east side of the park. Any tips on where to go or things to see?

There are a lot of airboat tour operators off of the Tamiami Trail. Get a private boat is you can.

The main entrance to Everglades National Park is about an hour from Miami. Anhinga Trail is a boardwalk that loops around a section of Taylor Slough and gives a very nice taste of the Everglades. Alligators, turtles, anhingas, cormorants, and several species of heron are acclimated to human presence there and they are really close. And it is only 4 miles inside the park,at the Royal Palm Visitor Center.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/anhinga-trail.htm

The main park road continues another 45 miles or so. There are many worthwhile stops along the way, but Anhinga Trail is the highlight for many visitors.

Shark Valley is always a lot of fun and definitely gets you up close and personal to some gators. There is a 15 mile bike loop, and the gators will frequently sun themselves in the middle of the bike path. You don’t need to ride the full 15 miles and there are rental bikes available. There is also a tram option.

Shark Valley is also located on the Tamiami Trail as well which is also a plus. It’s closer to both Miami and Ft Lauderdale, and most of the airboat rides are on Tamiami as well as Miccosukee Indian Village. I have not been on the airboat rides or to the Indian Village for a few years, though so my info on these two things may be out of date.

Agreed on Shark Valley - A nice tram tour if you don’t care to walk too much.

Nearer Port Everglades (assuming you’re staying in Ft Lauderdale) is Everglades Holiday Park. Haven’t done it in years, but it’s popular. Airboat rides and alligator show. I’d recommend keeping limbs in the boat.

Say " Hello" to the Pythons for me !

If you are lucky, you can find a python vs alligator battle to the death

We did Anhniga Trail several years ago in a very similar circumstance - after spending a week in the Keys, had a day to kill before catching our plane. It was a fun hike and we saw a spectacular amount of wildlife, including an alligator.

If you are not staying as far north as Miami (meaning closer to Fort Lauderdale), another option would be The North Everglades - Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge.

Nice kayaking, but not sure of the minimum age, adult/kid ratio per boat, etc.

If your going out of Miami go to Everglades National Park off of Tamiami Trial.
If your going out of Ft. Lauderdale go to the Everglades HOLIDAY Park off of US27

Bring lots of mosquito repellent!

Had a great time on our boat ride today. We also stumbled upon the Nike Missile base in the Everglades NP which was fantastic. Definitely go on the tour if your visiting in the future.

I got us a hotel room at the Marriott on Hollywood Beach. Nice smallish Marriott. The kids enjoyed the ocean and pool quite a bit this evening. Heading off to the Caribbean tomorrow afternoon.

Oh an no mosquitoes this time of year. Our guide says that just a couple of months ago you’d be covered in them.

I went with my mother and son to Shark Valley and rode the Tram. My son, who is 10 loved it. This summer we plan on hitting the other entrance, the Coe Visitors center. Anyone know how the hiking is around that entrance?

And of course we are going in the beginning of August