Another NYC Question: Restaurants . . .

So for my wife’s 50th, I need a “fabulous” restaurant. Been looking at Jean Georges, Daniel, Per Se, but really only because of the hype. No prior experience. Any recommendations on a NYC restaurant that will blow us away, and with a decent wine list that will not crucify me?

Thanks all!

Robert

Racines

Depends on your priorities. I do not think the very best food in NYC is at the fancy, “special occasion” places. Jean Georges and Per Se are both very impressive in their own ways, as is Le Bernardin, and many people love them and consider them fabulous as I think you mean it. Blue Hill at Stone Barns would be a good choice if food and impact are equally important. I haven’t been to Batard or Gabriel Kreuther, but from what I have heard, those could work. Jungsik is a also a strong option, and a place I like a lot. I eat so often at the bar at Marea that I sometimes forget the dining room is a lovely, special room that might please you in this case.

In NYC, if you want great food above all else, the best in my opinion is to be found at more funky, smaller places. Racines is a great neighborhood place with tasty fare and a very fun wine list, but it is not going to blow you away or fit the bill for a big birthday moment.

Do not go to Daniel.

I just have the impression from reading a lot of Robert’s posts, and from what he asked for that Racines might fill the bill. It’s smaller and less pretentious than some of the places you mention, but we found the food, wine, service and ambiance (it was quiet, no small thing in NYC) of very high quality. But he can decide for himself.

My wife and I went to NYC for our anniversary two weeks ago. We ate dinners at Per Se and Marea. We both went in a little worried that our expectations would be too high and that the “theater” aspect of a place like Per Se wouldn’t be as impressive as it was when we first went to The French Laundry about 5 years ago, after having done a fair amount of high end dining since then.

Per Se exceeded our expectations. It was enormously expensive, but our food was fantastic and surprisingly interesting given the somewhat “corporate” setting. I’d recommend it for a “fabulous” dinner if you are willing to spend $1k+ for the food plus good but on the low of prices for the list wine.

Marea was all about the pasta for us. Some of the best pasta we’ve ever had. Unfortunately, we were a bit disappointed by some of other aspects. We went post-theater for a 10:45 seating, and we wondered if that might have been part of the problem. The atmosphere is nice though, and we’re thinking that we’re going to go back for lunch (maybe sit at the bar?) next time we are in NYC just for some pasta.

Also, your “wine list that won’t crucify me” criteria is tough at Per Se. Lots of great wine on the list, but breathtaking prices. They did comp us glasses of Schramsburg sparkling wine (quite tasty, actually) to start “for our anniversary” – although maybe they would have anyways.

At Marea we took advantage of their Coravin list and ordered some nice wines by the glass. Overall I think their list is high quality and prices are relatively reasonable in New York, especially if you like Italian wine.

Thanks everyone.

We are definitely doing Racine’s one night. I love that place. Nice to find relatively mature Chinons, reasonably priced.

Don’t laugh, but my wife wanted to stay at Trump International. As much as I wanted to be in Tribecca, she wanted to be on the park with a park view. The Trump park view suites, while pricey, are much more reasonable and larger than Essex, Ritz, et al.

Staying at Trump, we are near Per Se and Marea and Jean Georges is in the same building. I just looked at Per Se’s wine list and about choked! Marea seems much more reasonable but I have to admit preferring the menus of Jean Georges and Per Se over the heavily Italian Marea.

My wife is not terribly picky about wines, prefers white, so perhaps I can grab a nice bottle of Huet and start with some champagne. Most of the plates seem to be better suited for whites over reds. I will have some killer reds up in the suite for “after hours”.

Hey, have a great time!

Per Se is in a different league than Jean Georges or Daniel. And, as long as you’re up for the ~10 courses, and are ok with the higher price, it is a much more special and unique food experience. If you prefer a 4-5 course meal, I’d recommend Le Bernardin over Jean Georges or Daniel, but they’re all places I’d happily eat again (I’ve had more uneven experiences with dishes at JG and Daniel than at Le Bernardin).

To me, Ko and Atera bridge the gap between “temple” type places and cooler, more engaging and generally fun experiences. I haven’t been to Atera since the new chef has joined, but Ko was a pretty mind-blowing experience.

11 Mad Park? Del Posto?

Marea is consistently good.

My choice would be Jungsik.

My favorite is Maialino, but it is Italian. I also don’t like super fancy places.

I really liked la Bernardin, but wine prices are high.