TSA @ Chicago O'Hare

Anyone know what the issue is lately with the ridiculous waits for security at Terminal 3 lately? Lately, myself and a number of colleagues have had waits of up to an hour to get through security in the morning… I’m thinking there might be a few frequent flyers around here who know the cause (although I’m sure you’re all TSA Pre).

No idea but there have been crazy lines at TSA Pre which they now seem to randomly decide everyone should use - particularly tourists who don’t understand the process. I’ve seen the insane lines at the main TSA area too - you’d think by now they’d know how to move this along.

(I used to be Pre always thx to status with AA but now they just give it off and on - and want me to pay them $85 for the privilege … AA has become a disaster)

This has been going on for about a month now. What I was told by one TSA person is that they were tested about a month ago and didn’t do so well. So now they are being much more careful and things take much longer.

That being said the TSA pre lines should be shorter again soon.

http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea.com/2015/09/18/no-free-loading-off-of-tsa-pre-check-anymore/

George

That explains a lot, thanks. I got TSA Pre earlier this year, after getting “selected” for inclusion once at ORD (AA, no less) and realizing how awesome TSA Pre is relative to the regular line. I figured it was marketing, but it clearly was a failed attempt to spread out the pain. Ever since, I had also noticed at Terminal 3 longer TSA Pre lines, but it was only when the main line was insanely long.

So long as one is willing to accept the privacy violation that is TSA Pre, and the slight hassle of signing up, I can’t imagine any reason not to do it, now that I have it.

hope they stick with it. Sometimes the people managing the lines just don’t care. They see no one at pre check so they start filtering the long lines on randomly.

Agreed. I think this is also what happened at ORD. It would be a security risk I would think.

George

Guess I got lucky. Went through Term 3 security last Monday late afternoon, and there were probably less than a dozen people in front of me at security. Was amazed at how short the line was and how quick I went through.

Michael

My wife witnessed a slew of people missing flights on Friday morning due to this. Lots of us here may have Pre, but at least we’re quick learners and budget in added time. Occasional travelers are missing flights left and right… My wife said that there were 20 people on standby for her flight Friday who missed the prior flight due to the lines.