Cooperstown, NY lodging wisdom?

Maybe the once in a lifetime little league experience for my kid next summer.
Anybody know where to stay and eat? Actually, I’m afraid it’ll likely be Eat With The Team. So where to eat is secondary.
But that doesn’t mean I can’t get a good night’s sleep somewhere.

Does it?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express–worked out fine.

I see country inn and suites took over what was possibly the nicest hojo’s Ive ever seen.

Have to eat at Brooks.

Most likely make the trek to Syracuse one evening and hit Dinosaur too.

There’s now a Dinosaur in Troy (very nice, overlooks the Hudson and reminiscent of the one in Rochester) that is a whisker closer than Syracuse. However, much as I love Dinosaur that seems like an awful long way to go unless you can manage a stop on your way home.

It’s probably not a great choice for a Little League trip (especially if you’re on a budget), but you can’t discuss lodging in Cooperstown without mentioning the Otesaga. I haven’t been there this millennium, and for all I know modernization has ruined it, but it is dripping in history. And, unless Trump takes it over, I don’t think anyone can ruin the beauty of the location.

was thinking the same thing

Where else are you headed besides the Hall? If you’re doing Cooperstown for a day, spend the night elsewhere, it will be a lot less expensive. Will you be headed northwest to Albany? South to Watkins Glen? The Finger Lakes region? [wink.gif]

Much of the time will be centered around the little league experience that you’re paying for, over at Cooperstown Dreams Park, and probably a few other venues. One afternoon in the Hall is enough.
A few parents seem to be renting houses on a nearby lake. There will be a lot of socializing going on among the families throughout the week. That’s pretty much the itinerary.

I grew up in Poughkeepsie. Most of my family is there. And we have family in Syracuse. So one night over there, and Dinosaur along the way is almost inevitable. But I didn’t know about the Troy location. But otherwise, no, wouldn’t be looking for more western NYS type options, I don’t think.

Lodging question is mostly about my comfort. :slight_smile: And the scant hope that maybe somebody has an inside track on something.

If the “nearby lake” is Otsego (AKA Glimmerglass), try to get in on one of those houses or find lodging near there. Upstate NY is filled with beautiful lakes, and Otsego is one of the most beautiful. Hanging out by the lake during down time sounds like a perfect way to spend this kind of vacation.

If you’re coming all the way to Troy for Dinosaur, drive 3 more miles to Pig Pit in Cohoes. Quite a bit better BBQ (though no booze).

If you have time to do an offline in the Albany area, there are better places for that.

When we did the Dream Park week, I stayed at the Holiday Inn express just north of the park. It was decent enough. Went with my Dad to watch my son play so the two of us spent lots of time in the hall (and having beers) while the kids were doing team activities. If you want to go big pimpin, the Otesaga Resort Hotel was pretty wonderful to walk around. Had a drink and munchies there. the Landmark Inn (near the Hall) looked very nice and one couple we were with stayed there and loved it.
Ommengang Brewery is just southeast of the Dream Park too. Good Ommengang on tap at many of the local bars.

Read that as “cojones”. [snort.gif]

Forgot about Ommengang. That’s encouraging. Sounds like I should at least try to get a place on the water.

Bill, how packed is the week for the kids? Will my boy not have a lot of idle time?

Brian, when we went the entire time for the players was filled with team activities.,they ate together, had organized tours, went to the Hall together. I only saw my kid at the games and at one team/parents dinner. Not sure if it was our team that organized it like that or if that is common. You might check with your coach.

Any updates/hot leads to this?

I will be up there in June, as it is my younger son’s year to play in the baseball tourney.

Did this a few years ago. Expect good ole upstate NY weather, t storms and the like. The park does an amazong job of getting the fields dried and all the games in but sometimes at the expense of kids playing at 1 am. That operation is a machine. Buy your kid a fan. The barracks are hot hot hot.

I recommend staying somewhere closer to the town. Dont recall anywhere super nice, you spend much of the time at the park Anyway.

Definitely go to Ommegang. Its really a good 30 min from the park and expect waits at least on weekends. There was a little shack place right across from the redroof inn I think that had solid food amd a decent vibe. They supply the mosquito repellent to eat outside. The BBQ (redneck) place right near is meh. My kids liked the hardball cafe in town with the green awnings and mostly outside seating, but it was cheescakefactory at best. Toscana was ok. The fuji sushi place was better than expected but not great by any stretch. The coffee place on the lake side of main was good.

Honestly I wouldnt go expecting a lot of fine dining options or profound culinary experiences. Watch baseball lots of pop fly homeruns and have fun.

Hmmmmmm. You make the cheesecake factory sound like a delightful alternative

Thanks Scott

I was first there about 6 weeks before 9/11 with my older son. I was one of the coaches of that team, and stayed with the kids in the barracks. Got to meet Andre Dawson, who was coaching his son’s team, and Don Larsen, who was coaching his grandson’s team.

I think we are actually playing at All Star Village, which wasn’t around back in 2001.

I am looking for some (relatively) cheap lodging.

I hear all star village much more comfortable than dream park for the kids.