NYC recommendations on accomodations for 3 couples?

My wife and I are celebrating our Fiftieth birthdays in October and November, so are headed to NYC for a nice weekend sometime in early November. We are taking 2 other couples with us - my sister and bro-in-law and then my best friend and his wife. We all have known each other most of our adult lives so are looking for intimate accomodations, perhaps a 3 bedroom suite or flat, rather than 3 separate hotel rooms. We are looking for upper-scale accomodations in a nice area.

Thanks for the help!

we booked 3 rooms at the andaz 5th ave for ourselves and two other couples in may… loved the location. great hotel across the street from bryant park and the library.

There are a few nice options on AirBnB, but it’ll be dependent on your final dates. Full apartments or even townhouses.

When exactly is your birthday? My wife and I both turn 50 next year too- April for her and October for me.

We’re headed to Vietnam for her big day…

Trading her in for a younger model?

Wait…projecting again.

First of all, does this mean I am not your bestie?

Second, do you need intimate accommodations so you can shave each other? I mean, whatever floats your boat but . . . .

I’m afraid I can’t help on the accommodations. The London is great but I think their suites are 2 bedrooms max. You might call. Very nice property at 7th and 54(?) A block from Carnegie Hall (and Carnegie Deli)

Carnegie Deli is still closed :frowning:

http://www.vrbo.com/3693328ha

Africa Vacation Rentals: house rentals & more | Vrbo (NICE!)

Union Square, New York Vacation Rentals: house rentals & more | Vrbo (another nice one and not as expensive as the Essex House).

Wow, the Essex house looks perfect. Tribecca loft is cool, too.

Have you been into either of these accommodations? The Essex one could be killer if you have those Central Park views. Cool neighborhoods?

On first read, I thought you wrote “Beastie”. Got me all hot and bothered. We will be eating at Racine’s, drinking mature, diluted Chinons. You would be miserable.

I am also bringing a 1965 mouton for $hit$ and giggles. I expect it to taste like raw sewage, my birth year of course being the worst viticultural year ever in the history of history.

Robert, knowing you I’d pick the Tribeca loft.

If it were for me, I’d go with the Union Square option though.

The ritziest will definitely be the Essex House (as illustrated by its price tag).

All three hoods are great but Tribeca & Union Square will be “cooler” than Central Park South.

I agree with Jorge. I’d stay somewhere between and including Tribeca and Union Square. I’m older than many/most of you, but even at my advanced age I no longer stay uptown of Union Square if I can help it. I’ve stayed all over Manhattan, but realized about 15 years ago that when we went for pleasure, we spent most of our days downtown, going back uptown to shower, then heading back downtown for dinner and nightlife. The only reasons to stay on/near Central Park South is to be able to walk to Marea and to be close to the museums. YMMV.

Thanks guys, very helpful. The Union Square choice does seem excellent, only concern is 2 bathrooms and the interior does look a bit Spartan.

Huh? Since when? Refurb?

Also, staying in midtown/Essex House means you are in easy walking distance of the Tourneau mothership. VERY dangerous for you, especially on your birthday trip

The good part is, Neal, by November my wife would have clearly forgotten that the Jaeger I bought myself on her behalf, was for my 50th birthday gift. So clearly we will need to do some shopping.

'37 was I think was worse

Speaking of projecting, I read Mr. Alfert’s post describing the 50th birthdays as being in October and November as somehow being equivalent to my wife and I turning 50 next year. [swoon.gif]

Corey is still trying to work a trade with me. He likes Cougars, but evidently does not care for lions.

Essex is really nice. Was there recently. Love that neighborhood.