Umbria Winery Visit Recommendations

My brother will be staying in Orvieto for a few days and is looking for winery recommendations (I am doing his planning in exchange for wine!). I already have one day planned in Montalcino so I’m looking for recommendations in Umbria. Looks like Montefalco would be the place to start. He is looking to visit at most 4 wineries and have lunch. Thanks,

David

Montefalco producer Antonelli San Marco (www dot antonellisanmarco dot it) offers a 3-course wine pairing lunch and cellar visit @ €27 per person.

David,

We just came back from 4 days in Orvieto. It was a family trip so we didn’t visit any wineries but if you want some recommendations on hotels, restaurants and sights feel free to PM me.

Dan

We visited 2 wineries in Montefalco, spending an average of 1.5 hours per visit.

Contrasting winery operations, wines and wine-making styles between:

Arnaldo Caprai ( http://www.arnaldocaprai.it/ ): where our fine and engaging hostess very generously provided samples of 15 different modern wines for the wife and I, in addition to a tour of the operations and the grounds. Well worth the visit to learn and understand the historical chronology of Sagrantino-based wines. Make sure you have a driver who won’t be drinking.

Paolo Bea ( http://www.paolobea.com/ ): ultra-naturalists in production and wine styles. We practically tasted wines in their home kitchen with Giampiero, one of Paolo’s sons, patiently guiding us within the winery and the flights of wines. Even sampled a couple of experimental stuff that were purely for consumption for themselves and close friends. Paolo doesn’t speak English and was pruning their garden tree when we arrived and came down to graciously pose for a photo with us. Mama Bea served some tasty fresh breads and their own olive oil while we tasted the wines.

I will be in Umbria next month and have made reservations with a few wineries in Montefalco. One of them is with Caprai and hopefully Marco will be available during my visit. I passed on Paolo Bea. As much as I like the wines, I felt that €80 for a “presentation of the cellar” and sampling of 5 wines with Stuzzichini plus €60 to “make a turn of the vineyards” (for me and my wife) was not worth it. Since I’m staying at a hotel that’s also convenient to Montalcino and Montelpulciano, I’m booking winery visits over there.

Back when we went to Paolo Bea’s, about 4 years ago, there was the mention of Euro20 fee in their website which I was prepared to pay. It wasn’t charged when we went, but I did end up buying 4 bottles.

I’m sorry to hear about the much, much larger costs that they’re asking from you. It does seem exorbitant.

Thanks for the information everyone! This will certainly help with the planning.