One way rental car fees - Europe

Headed there in a few months -

Into TLS and out of STR.

One way fees range from 400-800 euros…which I think is crazy.

Is there any way around this? Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Try different firms. I just paid under EUR for CDG-FRA.

According to the Toulouse airport website
http://www.toulouse.aeroport.fr/en/passagers/profiter/liste-boutiques-services/Car%20rental

These are my on airport options - All priced with “economy car”
Avis/Budget - $729.29 ($303.79 drop off fee)/Sold Out
Enterprise - Sold Out
Europcar - $1480.51
Hertz - $817.87 - Drop off fee is 400 euros
Sixt - $706.69 (includes 1 way fee)

One way fees will always be hefty. Best to use the train for long distance and car for local/short travel.

In looking it’s really not a one way fee…it’s that I’m returning it in Germany/STR. I can rent from TLS to SXB for 250ish all in…(which is a one way rental, it’s just within FR).

Check holiday autos. I paid EUR 40 I think.

I rented in toulouse and dropped off in Nice using SIXT and it was the best price and easy. The reason you are getting such high quotes is that you are taking the car out of country for the drop off. I looked into getting the car in BCN and dropping off in Nice and the cost was double.

YMMV…

Yup…exactly my issue. I can “one way” it without getting charged as long as I drop it off within FR…otherwise…$$$$

Return the car in Alsace, taxi across the border, rerent in Germany?

You can try using a consolidator like AutoEurope. We’re using them for a Rome-Geneva trip next week, and they came back quite a bit less expensive than the others. Now, the 1-way fee is still 300EUR, so it’s not exactly free. the issue is that the rental agencies are mostly local outlets even if they’r affiliated with the big chains, and they have to get their car back home. So the 1-way fee typically covers paying someone to bring the car (or a truckload of cars) back to the starting point.

In our research we found that direction of travel makes a big difference. Renting in Geneva and dropping in Rome was a lot more expensive than the other way around, for example. you could try dropping in Strasbourg or some other border town and taking a train a short distance to get a new car in Germany, but we decided that was far more hassle than the savings were worth.

How long is your rental? I just tried a sample 1-week rental in October TLS-STR on AutoEurope and came back with EUR135 + 400 fee for an economy car via Hertz. Yes, the fees are highway robbery, but at least the total number isn’t too high.

I would imagine they would have a bit of trouble renting what is most likely to be a French car here in Germany… I know I would not take one.

PM sent.