Memphis and Nashville

need some 'cue and hot chicken, other suggestions.

Alan, as far as Memphis bbq goes my favorite has always been Central BBQ. Never visited the downtown location, but the other two are great (Central Ave location is my fav). My other go to is Germantown Commissary. If you’ve never been and are up for it, Rendezvous is fun to visit, especially with a group, but it is far from my #1 choice.

My only Nashville hot chicken experience has been Hattie B’s, and I must say it was damn good. There are many others, a friend of mine swears by Prince’s, but next time I’m in town Hattie B’s will be the spot to fill that craving.

If you are looking for a great meal outside of those two regional favorites, I’d suggest Iris in Memphis and The Southern in Nashville. I’ve had great food and times at both.

Jumping on board here. Im actually going to Nashville and Louisville. So any extra thoughts on some good food places here. Thanks.

I’m about 90 minutes south of Nashville, so I try to get up there as often as I can. The Hattie B’s recommendation is spot on for hot chicken. They’ve got a few locations around town.

Any specific types of cuisine that you’re looking for, Joe?

I’ve never found great barbecue in Nashville.
The hot chicken, though. Wow.
I used to make the drive to Princes, the original.
Now I save time with no loss of flavor at Hattie B’s.
I usually get the Hot, and it’s Hot! One time, I went for the Damn Hot. That was a mistake. I needed a quart of milk after and the next day was not fun.

Peter, do you recall which Nashville BBQ joints you’ve eaten at? I’ve been to Martin’s (I believe it’s technically in Nolensville) several times and it is pretty good. Also heard many good things about Peg Leg Porker, but haven’t had a chance to sample their wares yet.

As far as the “hot” at Hattie B’s, yes it’s pretty warm. I have what I consider to be a higher tolerance for spicy food than most people, and it was exactly what I was looking for without going overboard. I don’t think I’d ever get the Damn Hot, unless there was some type of serious wager on the table.

I suppose it’s time for someone from Nashville to chime in. Re hot chicken…yes, many people enjoy Hattie B’s, but my personal favorite is 400 Degrees. The owner is an awesome lady and disciple of Prince’s; however, I find the chicken at 400 to not only be much less greasy than others, but has a lot more flavor and MUCH better quality. As for heat, the advertised levels are 0, 100, 200 and 400. I enjoy a hearty 200. If you want to punish yourself, she will let you go off the menu and order 600 and 800…but I would caution you to not have any appointments you want to keep that afternoon.

There is a newish place in Franklin called Big Shake’s that I’ve heard some good things about, especially if you like hot. A friend in our group who has an iron stomach got the hottest level at Big Shake’s and apparently lost the battle…first time I’ve heard that he “tapped out.”

As for BBQ, there is a new Martin’s location in 12 South that is much more convenient. Martin’s has a strong following. Peg Leg Porker is run by Carey Bringle, who I’ve known for close to 20 years…awesome guy with a great story…invited to cook at the James Beard House earlier this year. PLP is Memphis-style, so they only do pork and chicken. Since I am a MOT that doesn’t eat pork, I go with the chicken…great wings too…cool spot. Several at our office are fans of Slow & Low BBQ on Charlotte…they do brisket and turkey as well. Prices are very reasonable compared to others in town and friendly people…and when their brisket has that perfect combo of smoke and char I think it is the best in town.

As far as other suggestions, it feels like there are 5-10 new restaurants opening every month. Rolf & Daughters and 5th & Taylor get a lot of attention, but some personal favorites are Lockeland Table, Butchertown Hall and City House. Virago is a fun spot if you are looking for sushi along with a varied menu. Pinewood Social for a fun scene with cocktails. Happy to provide other suggestions.

Adam

Memphis… Payne’s BBQ on Lamar is my one MUST stop. Chopped pork sandwich, with slaw of course, and hot sauce. Their ribs are fine - the sandwich with slaw is where it’s at. If you don’t dig on swine, get the beef hot dog (which is what my dad does - also slaw and hot sauce).

Other BBQ - I dig Germantown Commissary if you’re out that way, and the cornish hen (strange but true) at Cozy Corner is a masterpiece. Corky’s is way too “gentrified” (I used to work there) - skip it. Rendezvous is very hit or miss (but the ambience is classic Memphis and the lamb is a worthy curiosity if you do go there). You can do well at Central (a bit too hippy for me), or the BBQ Shop, or Leonard’s. Neely’s sandwich is famous but it’s a massive (delicious) mess. If you’re doing a threesome - do Payne’s, Cozy, Central.

Non-BBQ: hit up Hogs & Hominy and check out their coffee/butcher shop next door while you’re at it. The justifiably well known soul burger at Ernestine and Hazel’s (you have to go late night, it’s a run down dive and knows it). Fried chicken at Gus’s for a very different bird than what you’ll find in Nashville (now in Atlanta as of 8/20 and expanding nationwide).

If you’ve never visited Sun Studios… or the Stax museum… or the Civil Rights museum, they’re all well worth the stop.

We had an excellent meal at Etch last year and it’s in the downtown area so easy to hit some music joints afterwards. Nashville is really a swingin’ town compared to my college days at VU way back when.

I was extremely disappointed in Memphis, which I wanted to (and was predispoed to) like. Now, I haven’t been often, and haven’t ben for years, but I found Memphis tired and sad, and the two BBQ joints I tried very disappointing. First was the Rendezvous, and it was like so many other long revered “name” places . . . just living on its name. I’ve had better BBQ in chain restaurants. I can’t remember the name of the other one.

Sun Records, though, was a religious experience. Seriously. The walls speak

thanks, all!

In Nashville, Hattie B’s rocked, 400 Degrees not quite so good, but there was also a great little Creole place right next to 400 Degrees. Etch was delightful and fun. Husk was a disappointment–takes itself way too seriously

In Memphis, Restaurant Iris was good, Gus’ Chicken great, Polly’s good, Rendezvous completely and totally SUCKED.

Would go back to Gus and Hattie’s, also Etch.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you liked Hattie B’s.

Jason

Went to Hog & Hominy… Great place. Also went to a solid Italian place in Midtown… Bari

This. Do not like Memphis. Nashville is great. Listen to Adam. Also the treehouse is a must eat and of course catbird seat if you can get in.

George

Just was in Franklin for our annual commercial meetings - and team dinner was at Red Pony which I’ve been to once before and loved. This time, I ordered the cowboy ribeye and it was the most delicious steak I could imagine! Unfortunately they has sold out of their 2015 Patricia Green Pinot which I wanted to share with the team so we had a 2013 Joseph Swan Cuvee Pinot which was quite nice.

I’m not usually a steak out person - since I cook my Flannery’s at home - but this was so good, I ate every bit of the very good sized steak.

Just incredible how that area south of Nashville has boomed over the last 30 years. My wife’s from franklin so I’ve really seen the changes. Fortunately, it’s almost entirely been for the good and having places like red pony is just one example of that.

Check out North and East Nashville…new construction going for > $300 all day.