Getting to Mykonos/Crete from Italy

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Italy for our 10 year anniversary. Probably going to spend 10-14 days there. We want to spend a great deal of time in and around Florence and Tuscany. Rather than explore another Italian city for the second half of our trip, my wife threw out the idea of heading to the Greek Isles since she’s always wanted to go to Mykonos. I’m wondering if it’s even worth trying to do both of these destinations in a single trip, or if visiting the Greek Isles is worthy of a trip on it’s own. I’m up for it, so long as air travel between Florence and the islands is available and reasonable.

Has anyone visited both of these locations in a single vacation before?

Our trip in 2012: Air travel (Los Angeles - London - Rome), immediately rented a car and drove to Porto Ercole on the Tuscan Coast (3 nights). Then drove to Florence (4 nights), then to Montalcino (4 nights), then to Rome (4 nights), then air travel (Rome - Athens - Santorini) for 7 nights, then highspeed ferry to Mykonos (7 nights), then air travel (Mykonos - London {nonstop on BA Saturdays only, otherwise connect in Athens}). 5 nights in London, then air travel (London - Los Angeles).

David
As ever, the trade-off of moving locations is how much holiday time lost vs. the opportunity to bring another set of opportunities into play. I’d generally look to avoid another flight in a 10-14 day holiday (figuring if I can’t find somewhere interesting within a 2 hour train or bus journey, then I’m really not looking hard enough).

Vueling or Iberia looks a practical option from Florence/Firenze, and Aegean airlines from Pisa but that includes 1 change so 3.5 hours in total.

The flights appear to be 2h15m from Florence, so let’s say arrive 2 hours early, plus half an hour to the airport, an hour packing bags / checking out, then transport times at the other end (not sure how long but let’s say 1.5 hours from landing/clearing the airport to destination), checking in & unpacking another hour. I make that 8h 15m. Plus the hassle. For me that’s a big hole in what we could see, which could be halved by choosing two closer destinations. Your holiday though, and a happy partner may be worth the lost time/hassle!

Finally do factor in any additional connections.

regards
Ian

I agree with Ian that 10-14 days is insufficient time to do both (I skipped over that part of the OP).

That makes sense, thanks!

David
Although itself not the easiest logistically, would the island of Elba appeal? The ferry will be more pleasant than a plane, and might that be a compromise option? Ferry from Piombino which is ~ 2 hrs by car or 2.5 by train. Alternatively for a different island, what about French (but ex-Italian) Corsica, which is much easier as the ferries go from Livorno.

Although that’s a while on a train, a train offers the chance for a picnic lunch, raiding a local alimentari for tasty foods and maybe a bottle of wine.

Plenty of other interesting places in range of Florence.

Of course the other option is to look at Mykonos and see whether another handy location would fit well, ideally somewhere with a direct flight route to/from home.

regards
Ian