NYC: Pizza & decent wine list

I know there’s a million of em’ and I already have a BUNCH of ideas, but anyone have a favorite pizza place (or hole-in-the-wall Italian joint) with an interesting wine list in NYC? Looking for something south of Central Park but even more ideally closer to NYU/Greenwich/East Village. Grazie!

Highly recommend Keste

Highly recommend Marta.
the pizza patate alla carbonara is fantastic.
wine list is here

Marta is great.

If you find yourself in Brooklyn, Roberta’s has a really nerdy list and killer pizza.

Suzanne, we ate at Marta back in February, and greatly enjoyed it. But for more of a “hole in the wall” atmosphere, and frankly better pizza (IMO), I love Keste. Can’t really vouch for their wine list, don’t remember it, but I think it was interesting and eclectic enough. Marta is much more up-scale and trendy, much larger, open, space. Keste is a hole in the wall. A very cool hole in the wall :slight_smile: Again, just one guy’s opinion…

Alan, I have eaten at Keste and was uninspired.
I much prefer Motorino and Una Pizza Napolitana- which moved to SF.
Also Roberta’s but that is in Brooklyn.

Otto
La Pizza Fresca

Thanks to all. Much appreciated.

Keste was on the list as a possibility already. I will report back if we choose any of the suggestions given. I’d rather trust those in the beserkers community rather than Yelp.

Marta and Keste are both good, and they have very different vibes—Keste younger, louder, more of a scene, Marta adds a touch of class, feels more like a bistro.

I prefer Pizzeterria Brunetti at 626 Hudson St. Good pizza, excellent wine program.

You asked about “decent wine list”. Keste’s is very much below pedestrian.

Motorino Pizzeria in the East Village has the small wine list that has more soul than Keste’s. Their pizza are very Neapolitan-style and much more to my preference.

http://www.motorinopizza.com/new_york/eastvillage/menu

I’ll add Peasant in the Lower East Side (north of Little Italy) for good brick-oven pizza, also in the Neapolitan-style. Just 3 pizza on their menu but their Margherita is very much worth the trek. Their roast pork dish with the crackling skin and very rustic potatoes is pretty much my local go-to for roast Italian pork, closely followed by Maialino’s. Peasant’s wine list is relatively robust and has sufficient gems.

So far it’s looking like Marta has a nice list, Keste may be the closest of we dine near the hotel (no list anywhere online I can see). Lots of choices that’s for sure!