Learning conversational French with a focus on wine related converstaion

I’m going to Burgundy in late November and I currently have no knowledge or experience in speaking French. I’d like to change that, even if the only thing I learn is how to mangle the language so badly that the locals find it humorous. I’ve had a bit of a poke around on the interwebs and have found that the resources available are, well, overwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendations for learning some conversational French online, either in audio or video format? And I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but are there any French learning resources that focus on vineyard, winery, and wine related conversation? Any advice would be appreciated!

For conversational stuff, Duolingo is pretty good, I used it when I went to Japan and to Italy and it definitely helped. But for wine-centric stuff, you’ll find many of the winemaking terms used in English are actually French words (remontage for example), so you might be more adept than you expect.

Burgundy in late November is full of English-speakers for the Hospices de Beaune auction, so you should be able to get along with a smile and a “bonjour” whenever you enter an establishment.

Thanks for the recommendation Michel, I’m checking out Duolingo now.

There is a duolingo thread in the Asylum

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?style=10&f=5&t=106931

Andrew,

As someone who uses Duolingo trying to learn French, one thing I would suggest in advance is not to get turned off by the very basic lessons. . . I understand that “Le requin mange une pomme rouge” won’t be of any help to you, but persist and you will soon pick up many phrases and words that will be useful.

Cheers, and perhaps we’ll bump into each other in Beaune late November.

HIC

Definitely agree on Duolingo. Before using it I actually made my own flashcard program. This has one and you can practice at your leisure.

I

Andrew, as soon as you get ANY proficiency going, start reading French language wine oriented websites and / or magazines if you have access.

Best possible solution, start dating a French vigneron doing a stage down under… champagne.gif

What’s the Italian book? I am visiting our Italian wineries early next year and would love something like that.

Michael, I’ve got to find it at home but I’ll post it soon.

I’d like to find a beer book in Spanish. Winemaking/wine terms probably wouldn’t be bad either.

M

Cool thanks!

This book is good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Winemakers-Essential-Phrasebook-Portuguese/dp/1840007826

You can read the TNs on La passion du vin forum (most active wine forum in French), this will give you some pointers.
Also suggest to learn a few fruit names, this might help you with restaurant menus.

Alain

Pimsleur.