Bicycling Around Gevrey and Vosne

Wife and I are off in early August and staying in Gevrey at Hotel les Grand Crus. It seems that it is impossible to hire bicycles in Gevrey (so the hotel tells me) the nearest place being Dijon which begs the question: is the area Gevrey to Vosne/Nuits St George bicycle friendly? I have looked up a number of bike friendly maps and they all show south of Beaune as having ‘cycle tracks’ but north of there - ‘in the future’. I would have thought this area is a cycling mecca.

So, Burgundy visiters, how have you found the Route de Grand Cru for bicycles around this area, is it ok going? Any tips for a couple of days that you can recommend?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards,
David Morris.

Hi David,

If you had stayed at Chez Hall we would have recommended http://www.bourgogne-randonnees.fr/1.html in Beaune. There are lovely tracks along the canal as well as the thrill of cycling past Montrachet etc. If you are strong try the loop around Montrachet, up to rochepot and then downhill back through auxey.

Cheers

Anthony Hall.

Hey Anthony
I want to revere at CSJ, Caz, CdeB, Clos Voug, Rich, Cailles, St Georges, Malconsorts etc etc. As much as down south is pretty and easy to cycle, it doesn’t represent my cellar :slight_smile:

Just mentioning that the company I referenced claim to deliver bicycles to your address regardless of palate preference.

David - I did the same trip a few years back. We booked a self guided trip http://www.randonneetours.com/tours/france/burgundy_cycling_grand_crus_7days_itinerary.htm
and stayed in same Hotel in Gevrey. There are multiple rides in all directions. One day we went North to Fixin and then went west up in the hills, followed another group to a great restaurant for lunch. Another day we went east into the flats. Then trip sent us south towards Beaune and through Nuits St. George. Lots of great rides in all directions there as well - generally hilly towards the west, flat towards the east.

There are no bike trails/paths in this area but very little traffic so roads are ok. My wife won’t ride on roads in general around home and she had no problem in this area. Get a good map and obviously stay off the bigger roads.

Remember to plan your rides around stopping for lunch no later than 1. We made the mistake of arriving at restaurants around 2 and struck out over and over.

Google is your friend to find bike rentals that can be delivered to hotel. BTW that hotel has a great cellar in the basement and we nearly cleaned them out of their white burgs while there!

David, my wife and I just got back from 5 days of biking in the region (a loop from Beaune to Savigny/Pernand-V/Aloxe-Corton, Beaune through Santenay to Nolay, Nolay to Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, Ch. to Dijon, then Dijon to Beaune), happy to fill you in with details - tons of great biking around there, and we rented from Bourgogne Randonnees in Beaune (picked up at their shop and returned there, so not sure about their delivery of bikes). I’ll be posting trip notes on the forum here soon. Happy to talk by phone or DM.