Spain - Wine Regions Close(ish) to Barcelona

Looks like we’ll be flying into Barcelona first week of August for 4-5 days. My wife and I prefer the countryside and would love to stay in a wine region for 2-3 days while there. I’m really only familiar with wine from Rioja, which I love, but wanted to see if there were any recs on a different region to visit. I’m looking for:

• A place with great wine, great scenery, and great food
  • Preferably not too far from Barcelona (max 4-5 hour drive, preferably less)
  • Preferably not overrun with tourists

Any thoughts? I’m just starting my search, so any recs would be very valuable.

Thanks in advance!

Just pointing out that Rioja is (barely) within your 5 hour driving limit! [cheers.gif]

Penedès is within an hour. Not sure that it meets any of your criteria, though (I do like a lot of the older Torres reds, though, and I am a fan of marc de Cava)

Quick search in the travel forum will turn up a few recent threads on Barcelona, Rioja - Laguardia and areas in between.

Priorat is about 1.5-2 hrs. from Barcelona. Great scenery. People tend to love the wines or hate them. They are strong medicine.

P Hickner

Daniel,

I would suggest Priorat or Penedes. Take a look at my blog about our visit to Spain (and in particular, our visits in Penedes and Priorat): Spain | Wine Travel Around The World

Marilyn