America - travel advice

I have been to about 20, perhaps up to 25 states. I’ve never taken a cross-country tour, unfortunately. I am looking for advice on seeing more of America in 4 to 6 day doses. Where would you go? What route would you take? What would you see? What would you avoid?

If you were going to introduce someone who was not from the US to America, what would you suggest?

For the record, I’ve seen much of both coasts (excluding OR and WA).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Grand Canyon and the Four Corners area. Spectacular.

I’d suggest they start in the Travel Forum! neener

Route 66

Rocky Mountains in Montana from Glacier NP to Yellowstone. Stop in Jackson Hole for a day of R&R. Then to the Grand Canyon and stop in Vegas for a few days of debauchery. I really like the NE from Boston north, very scenic. So much to do, what does your friend enjoy?

What Dan says although given only 4-6 days, you could easily fill it up with the four corners. Towns of Durango, Ouray, Telluride, and the ruins of Mesa Verde. Cool train between Durango and Silverton (wear googles, only downside is plenty of soot).

The Grand Canyon is great and iconic.
The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is also great and only 50 miles from Ouray.

I just enjoyed traveling both the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (located a little south and at lower elevation than the Beartooth Highway) on a recent trip to both Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP. Both really special drives.

Other special drives done in the past include the Durango-to-Ouray drive (with Silverton in between those two towns). Barry’s description is apt. I’ve also driven to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on one of those trips - it sits a little east of a town called Montrose, which sits north of Ouray. If you were looking at such a trip, you can also continue east from Gunnison and then turn north to head through Fairplay (South Park) on your way up to Denver. The “Peak to Peak” highway from around Estes Park, CO, down to Nederland, CO (or even to Blackhawk and I-70). So many other nice routes to take in the Rocky Mountains, it’s really hard to promote any one of them. For instance, I’ve done the Lewis and Clark highway from south of Missoula MT over to Lewiston and Clarkston in Idaho/Washington, which runs through some absolutely beautiful mountain country with both the Lochsa and Selway rivers keeping you company. On that particular trip we proceeded on to a really neath place called Palouse State Park in southeastern Washington. Again, so many options. Enjoy!!

I rode that train as a little kid. My parents took us to Colorado every 2-3 years. Mesa Verde, Durango Silverton was particularly memorable for me!

Bringing kids? Visit Orlando. Disney World and Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be a dream.

And since you haven’t been, check out Seattle. Tons of great stuff there-- mostly food related. Lola, Paseo, Michou, Crumpet Shop, Cascina Spinasse, SBUX Reserve Roastery & Tasting Room, Dahlia Bakery, etc.

Oregon in 4-6 days - this assumes you arrive either late the previous night or the morning of Day 1.

Day 1 - Drive to Mt Hood (Hwy 26) and Timberline Lodge. Have lunch. Continue to Bend. Have a beer at Crux Fermentation Project.
Day 2 - Drive south from Bend to Crater Lake. Have lunch at the lodge, walk down to the lake. Continue to Steamboat Lodge on the North Umpqua River for dinner and lodging (in the summer, dinner starts at an hour after sunset).
Day 3 - Drive through Eugene to Florence on the coast. Go north to Cape Perpetua and check out the view. Continue north on the coast to Newport. Check out the OSU Marine Science Center and the waterfront area. Spend the night at Salishan and dine at Restaurant Beck.
Day 4 - Drive to Portland through Wine Country. Taste wine at Domaine Drouhin (great view). In Portland, go to Washington Park, Powell’s Book Store, and shop (no sales tax). Particularly check out some of the funky areas of town like Division St, Hawthorne St, Mississippi, and Alberta. Eat at any one of several dozen great restaurants in Portland.

or, for a little more wine flavor,

Day 4 - Drive to McMinnville and taste wine at Biggio-Hamina on the way in. Have lunch at Valley Commissary, taste wine at Matello and Eyrie, and beer at Heater Allen (shameless plug) - all within easy walking distance from the restaurant. Have dinner at Nick’s Italian Cafe.

Day 5 - See Day 4 above.

This is a great suggestion!

Black hills
Glacier np
Coastal Maine
Gettysburg
Oregon coast
Vegas or Reno
Roswell NM
Miami to key west
Creation museum. KY
Washington, D.C.
Nyc
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Panhandle to New Orleans
A sports hall of fame of your choice
Denali to kennecott AK
Savannah to coastal Carolina

IMO It really depends on when you are planning to go. For example I would never go to Chicago in February or New Orleans in August. 2 great cities but not at that time.

George

Go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons area. Stay at Yellowstone Inn facing old faithful.

Yeah, the Society of Wine Educators thought the annual meeting should be in NO this year, in mid-August. Not going outdoors much.

After visiting Europe for many years, wife and I decided to see more of N. America. Been to NYC, Boston, New Orleans, Florida, St. Louis and CA, Montreal and Quebec. This spring went to the Black Hills via Denver and saw all the sights. Used Rapid City as a base for 3 nights. Flew to Chicago for 2 more days (love this city). Rented car and drove home (Philly) stopping at Cleveland R & R Museum and Falling Waters outside of Pittsburgh on way home. Very relaxing and enjoyable. With the Euro being what it is we broke our goal and just returned from Scandinavia and Paris for our summer trip. Looking forward to next year. Thinking of coastal Maine and Canadian Maritimes next year.

Florida Keys in the Winter !

Agreed on Grand Canyon. One of two places I’ve been that has, literally, taken my breath away. That said, I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting Yellowstone.

With 6 days, you could pack in a number of other places too. I would suggest Bryce or Zion, in addition to Grand Canyon, but you could find any number of beautiful sites. Yes, there will be some somewhat-boring driving in-between…

Two itineraries:

Fly to Chicago. Get on the Great Northern Railroad. Go through Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana, getting off at Glacier National Park. Stay at the Lodge right at the train station and see Glacier National Park. Get back on the train and go to Portland (or Seattle). See Oregon wineries, as above.

Drive to Gettysberg. Spend day there. Go next to Charlottesville, VA. See the University of Virginia, have lunch at Mitchie Tavern and visit Montecello, Jefferson’s home. Go next to Charleston, SC. Then to Savannah, GA, thereby seeing the two prettiest cities in the south. On your way back, go to Williamsburg, VA. See the historic area and go to Jamestown and Yorktown. Return home.

I am sure that there are 50 other tours people can suggest.