Weekend free it Northern Italy - suggestions?

All -
It looks like I’m going to end up with a weekend free between work trips, from the afternoon of Friday, July 10th through the morning of July 13th. I’ve been to Italy many times, so looking for a new experience to try.

I’ve been to the major places many times - Venice, Florence, Tuscan Hills, Piemonte (often), Cinque Terra, Rome, Milan, Lake Como, Amalfi - and probably would like to stay < 3hrs from Milan. A couple of ideas were hiking in the Valle d’Aosta, or possibly a place along the Ligurian Coast. In general I’d like to keep pretty active

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Brian

If you decide on hiking in the Piz Boe and Cortina area I’ve got lots of recs on hikes and Michelin starred restos too.

Bolzano. Lots of hiking nearby, great wine region, fun town for a weekend.

I can recommend a fantastic new hotel in Santa Cristina in val Gardena. Amazing spot from which to explore the Dolomites. Some of the most beautiful scenery and lots of interesting places to visit given all the WW1 fighting in the mountain trenches. They’re opening the world’s highest museum at the top of one of the cable cars this summer to commemorate the WW1 battlefields. The hotel opened last December and the guy running it is keen on wine and has a great chef (Sicilian). Strongly recommend!

Certainly Valle d’Aosta is in range, and there is some very fine walking there. Worth a day in Aosta itself which we found very friendly, including the charmingly mad lady in the tea shop - a ball of energy and conversation.

We really like Ghemme but it’s nothing to look at. Il Cavenago (agriturismo) do some brilliant meals at weekend and the rooms are spacious with lots of big old oak, yet modern bathrooms. Gattinara is modest cycle ride over the river, and has more obvious charm. The nearby Parco Ticino has appealed but for some reason we never made it there. Also some of the smaller lakes to the north were recommended by a local we bumped into at the Ghemme wine festival (a very alcoholic event, so unlike Italy normally).

Another fine & friendly agriturismo in a small untouristy place was Tre Colline in Langa in Bubbio (near Acqui Terme) and there is wonderful walking there or across near Castino.

Maybe the Valtellina wine region might appeal as well

Cinque Terre can be awfully over-touristed on the coastal paths. If you’ve got modest to good fitness, head uphill on the inland walks which are generally bereft of tourists and give a different perspective

Personally at that time of year I’d be thinking mountains all the way. They’ll take the edge off the heat and the long days allow for great walking without fear of losing the light. Too far for this trip, but Lago Molveno near Trento was brilliant for scenery and walking.

regards
Ian

Lugano is spectacular and not far from Milano. It is very Italian for Switzerland.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions - great starting points on further research!

Brian