Anyone use Uber in Paris? From CDG to city? In the city?

Im interested in knowing anyones experience using Uber in Paris as opposed to taxis and other sources including is it safe, cost efficient, prompt pick up responses, any other considerations. We are staying in the Latin Quarter so the ride from CDG needs to get us there. Many thanks.

Blake,
My experience with Uber in Paris has been uneven. Sometimes good, sometimes not. If it is raining, good luck (but that is also true with taxis). If I need certainty, I’ll use Taxi G7 or the Philsam, the car service that we’ve used the past 5 years for airport (and other) transfers. G7 has a smartphone app as well as an English speaking dispatch phone number (01 41 27 66 99). Philippe De Neuville <pdeneu@aol.com> of Philsam and his drivers speak English, as well, and they are absolutely reliable.

from CDG the roissy bus is pretty reliable… (or the AF bus depending on where your destination is).

the roissy bus goes direct CDG to Opera. and we usually stay at the Opera area so it’s perfect for that purpose…
within Paris, we take the subway… or walk…

Great info; much appreciated.

Were staying in the Latin Quarter and since well be in Europe for a month, we`ll have too much luggage, as usual, and will require a taxi, or a car service, the latter being our normal choice.

used it several times/day in paris this spring and was blown away how much better it was than NYC. all the cars were great, professional drivers, etc. from cdg to central paris should be 45E or about.

We used uber in Paris pretty extensively in May. From Orly and to CDG without any issues. Most pickups were prompt at the airport or in paris, within 10 minutes. The only issue was surge pricing which seemed to pop up a few times. Luckily we always allowed plenty of time so we just waited for the surge pricing to end or changed the pickup location by a few blocks to avoid the surge. Most drivers spoke a bit of English, never ran into any drop off issues as we always plugged our destination into the app prior to pickup.

As for cost, Orly to the 10th on a weekday around 8pm was €25 and from the 2nd to CDG on a Sunday afternoon was €45.

Overall it was great, avoided Paris cabs the whole trip.

I couldn’t figure out where to meet the driver, and when I texted the driver the question (in English), he cancelled.

Great to hear. From CDG, did you use Uber POP or Uber X?

Fantastic; just what I was hoping for. I`m all for avoiding Paris cabs.

Good to know. I`ll text in Dutch.

Download the Google translate app and the French pack and it works offline like a champ. Even reads your text for you.

I have always found G7 to be a great service in Paris- have others had issues with them?

No issue with promptness and courteous drivers by G7 cabs. I’ve taken it numerous times going back to catch flight at CDG and Orly.

I take the buses and metro within Paris and normally take either the RER train or Roissy bus or Air France bus from-or-to the airport whenever I only have a small roll-on bag with me. I like the RER as it is the quickest to commute between CDG and the city. 45 minutes travel to Saint Michel metro station. Plus, it’s only Euro 10. Downside are the walks for transfers within stations and the up-and-downs the stairs that can be a pain if you have heavy bag(s).

G7 cabs can be expensive relative to the UBER costs provided above. My G7 cab from 6th Arr to CDG last Tuesday cost me Euro 70 + tip. Plus it took me 1 hour 20 minutes due to traffic. But it’s very convenient as it picks you up or drops you off right at your hotel or apartment.

Where does one catch Uber at CDG?

Are cabs unreliable in Paris? I was planning to use cabs from Orly and to CDG from the sixth. R Cabrera post seems to state they are reliable albeit a bit more expensive.

anywhere/same place you’d get a taxi. you don’t “catch” it like a taxi, you hail it from the app.

of course they’re reliable. but with the ubiquity and ease of uber, why would anyone bother? that uber is typically cheaper makes it even easier.

Cabs aren’t as such, but try getting one from Gare du Nord around 8:30am especially if a few trains arrive in a short period. Cabs are often not that clean (there’s little or no standardisation like there is in London/NYC etc).

One of the reasons I initiated this thread is due to many really bad experiences with cabs. I know some of the Paris areas pretty well and have on more than one occasion been taken in round about ways to get to my destination as if I had no clue I was being ripped off.

In the most recent episode, it was raining hard and my wife and I and another couple took a taxi to a restaurant that was 7-8 blocks away from our hotel, a distance we would normally walk. By the time the driver got us there, it was a 26 Euro ride, took 15 minutes and he left us with an attitude. I vowed to not do that again, thus this thread.