San Simeon Ca. Hearst Castle Cambria…..

Spending a couple days in July with the fam in San Simeon….going to Hearst Castle…staying at The Morgan Hotel…….need some recs on eating and drinking? Will go to Cambria(how far away from San Simeon?) for a day……so two good restaurant recs around the area, maybe local wineries or wine shops, would be greatly appreciated!

[cheers.gif]

San Simeon = 10 min drive from Cambria…maybe not even that.

haven’t eaten there in years, but can recommend Cambria Beer Co. if you get burned out on wine.

have fun!

I loved Hearst Castle when I went several years ago. IIRC, they had a “special” night time tour, which we took and really enjoyed. Worth checking out.

They used to sell uncooked beef from cattle raised on the property. Pricey but if you want real free-range beef it’s really good. Disclaimer, it’s more gamey than almost all other beef out there as a result. So if you don’t like that extra “free range” gamey flavor then probably pass on it.

Sea chest on moonstone beach Cambria is a must stop for us. Great walk on that beach too.

Ask to swim in the pool naked.

So…any last second recs for restaurants in Cambria? Dinner with great wines…breakfast?

Brian: I’m a little out of touch with Cambria; have not eaten there in maybe 5 years. In Los Osos (about 20 miles south), I’d recommend Noi’s for Thai food (lunch especially) and a breakfast place is Baywood Nevy. These are probably too much trouble unless you want to swing by SLO and Edna Valley.

My daughter’s MIL is a manager at Sea Chest. Fun if you go at sunset. No reservations and bring cash.

Last time we were up in that area, we had a good dinner at Robin’s…eclectic but tasty fare, including locally-renowned salmon bisque. I remember having a very nice meal at the Sow’s Ear as well, but that was several years ago at this point.

If you are ex-military the local downtown VFW pours some strong and cheap drinks. Got dragged there with a friends dad and the gin and tonic was really a pint glass with about 1/2 an ounce of gin. Couldn’t even finish it and I love G&T’s.

Ok…Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill stones throw from the ocean…went there both days for appetizers and a bottle of wine for lunch…Robin’s for dinner was fantastic! Yes eclectic…Asian,Mexican,italian…fresh and tasty…kids loved it! Sea Chest…YES! No reservations…no credit cards(checks though)…couple blocks away from the Moonstone…we went at 6pm and put our name on the list…the first wave of people wait out an hour before opening…and instantly the place is full when they open…we came back at 6:45 and got right in…killer food and sunset!!
Breakfast at Linn’s
image.jpg

Buzz hit all the places we like.

Is the photo from Robin’s or???

Sounds like a great time.

We passed through cambria a few months ago and ate at the Moonstone Bar and Grill. I thought it wasn’t very good at all.