Winery Suggestions Near Austin, TX

Anyone have recommendations of some wineries to check out near austin? Specifically texas hill country? Going to be down there for a week this summer and thought I would take a day to check out local wine!

My GF just got back from Austin a couple of weeks ago and she went on some wine tour thing- I will get you the info. FYI- Diane is hardly a wine expert- but even she said the wines were pretty awful.

Skip wineries, go to Jester King. They have an awesome pizza place on site with some local wines, sakes, ciders and of course beers.

They specialize in sour/wild/fruited beers which tend to appeal more to wine drinkers than IPAs/stouts it seems.

Interesting. Can’t say I am expecting world class wines, but a day visiting vineyards and learning a bit about texas certainly sounds like it could be fun. I’d imagine its at least interesting!

If anyone has suggestions of places to go, please let me know!

Best,
Michael

I lived in Texas for 27 years and can’t think of a Hill Country winery where I’d send a friend.

Napa Valley is a 3 hr plane ride away

I visited Spicewood vineyards a few years ago. Decent wines overall and they are doing some nice things with Portuguese varieties. Their Touriga National was my favorite. Based on the climate when we were there it seemed like a tough place to make wines unless they can survive the heat.

Michael,

The Hill Country wineries are nice to visit. The wines won’t be great (the whites are better than the reds), but the wineries are architecturally nice, the people are friendly, and the views are some of the best in the state. Here’s a link: Wineries - Texas Hill Country Wineries. Becker has some nice whites. Pedernales (pronounced Per -de -nal -es) has some drinkable reds. Dutchman Family has a nice on premise restaurant.

You will have fun visiting!

Marilyn