Washington DC recs

Diane and I were talking this weekend and I found out that she has never been to Washington DC- I want to correct this. Thinking about later in September when kids are back in school. We will not be renting a car. Plan on arriving on Thursday and returning to Chicago on Sunday.

Couple of questions-

Is this a good time to go?

Besides the regular sites- suggestions on some off beat ones? Have not done the White House tour and am planning on trying to set that up.

Hotel- want something close to the atttractions, and would LOVE to be around the $250 a night area. Last time I was there stayed at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill- great location, but wasn’t crazy about the hotel.

Restaurants- any suggestions. Would like to take her to Georgetown for a dinner also.

Thanks!!

Great idea, Jay. The later you come in September the better. The weather cools, the lines shrink, reservations get easier to snag, more is happening culturally . . . . just better all around.

I’ll post later about things to see. Hotels . . . every chain in the world has properties, plural, within walking distance of one or more major sites. None of them are extraordinary hotels, and for $250/night, an extraordinary hotel is going to be hard to find; it is more in the Hilton Garden Inn and Courtyard territory, I suspect. Of course, I don’t stay in hotels here, so I may be less informative than others, but you might try the W on PA Avenue, a block from the White House; a chain hotel where you might get close to that number. It has an oppressively trendy bar on the roof, but during the day it has a phenomenal view. My favorite property within the area is the Sofitel, but I am not sure how close you can come to that price. You might also try the Hotel Monaco, which is in a gorgeous historic building and right down in the action (but will also be lots of street noise, I suspect; it will matter what room you get). Another gorgeous small hotel that you can get for a relative bargain rate is the Jefferson; it is maybe 3/4 a mile from the White House but that distance lowers the price dramatically. Rooms are luxuriously appointed. Lots of choices if you decide to splurge.

Lots of restaurant threads on DC. My current favorites are Rasika for haut Indian (amazing food and maybe my favorite place in the city), Fiola Mare (spendy italian seafood; it is your Georgetown splurge – celebs and a river view with sensational food and a great wine list), the original Fiola (Penn Quarter near the Monaco and brilliant Italian cooking), a couple of Jose Andres places in the same general neighborhood: Zaytinya (relatively inexpensive small plates Greek), Oyamel (creative spin on haut Mexican) and Jaleo (tapas). Lots more if you are more specific about what you want to eat and how much you want to spend

Jay,
We were just having this conversation on donrockwell.comVisiting Washington, DC - Visiting Washington, DC - DonRockwell.com

For dining in G’town, your best bet will probably be Frank Ruta’s new place at the Capella Hotel. (The Grill Room (Rosewood Hotel), 31st and K Street in Georgetown - The Departure of Chef Frank Ruta and Pastry Chef Aggie Chin - Washington DC Restaurants and Dining - DonRockwell.com )

Can’t really help on hotels.

2nd vote for Jaleo, place is amazing

Good start - thanks!! Keep em coming!!

We enjoyed Billy Sud in Gtown recently before a visit to Blues Alley. Corkage is $25-wine list is short but not bad.

I was really disappointed in the White House tour. If not for getting to see W leave out the back and take off in Marine One, I doubt I would remember a thing at all about the visit. The capital is a way better tour if you want to do something government related.

OK, I have a few ideas for off-the-beaten-path stuff, but you should know that without a car, it is harder to get to some. For example, Mount Vernon is a short dive, but it is a drive (unless you take an organized tour). It is a gorgeous place to visit, especially in late summer or fall. It sits on a promontory over the Potomac so the views are spectacular. It is also someplace where there is nothing between you and the full-on historical experience. You walk the same floorboards George and Martha walked and stand in the room where he died. If you are a history buff, it is a trip worth making.

Even if you don’t make it to Mt Vernon, I highly recommend Old Town Alexandria. It is an easy-to-walk area of beautiful late 18th/19th century homes. MUCH less crowded than Georgetown. Lots of restaurants (mostly middling – but Pizzeria Paradiso) and shops, but there is also the Torpedo Factory, which houses studios for a variety of artists (many of extremely high quality) as well as a gallery where they sell some very nice (non-kitch) stuff. From very small $25 wood block prints to large oils and everything in between. You can get to Old Town by water taxi from Georgetown and the Navy Yard (the latter has a metro stop), which would be fun.

Georgetown can also be fun to walk unless crowded sidewalks send you over the edge.

The Smithsonian museums of course are not really off anyone’s path, but if you want some ideas there let me know. The Air & Space Annex at Dulles is off the beaten path but unreachable without a car (I guess there are buses from the hotels but yuck)

The other Smithsonian that is (a) off the Mall and (b) less crowded is the combination Museum of American Art and Portrait Gallery (Steven Colbert!). It is in the middle of Penn Quarter, surrounded by really good restaurants.

Oh, and one of my favorite rooms in DC is the National Building Museum. At one time it was one of the largest office buildings in the world. It was built in ~1870 to house the Pension Bureau for civil war veterans and to provide a grand space for public events. It has housed a presidential inaugural every four years since it was finished. It is a breathtaking piece of architecture which makes it a fitting place for the collections/rotating and traveling exhibits.

While on the Hill, you should definitely stop at the Library of Congress. Aside from the reading room, which is a spectacular space, you can see the Jefferson collection. After the Brits burned the Capital and destroyed the library, Jefferson sold some ~6,500 books to the nation. A second fire ended up destroying about a two-thirds of those books, but the remainder are on display, along with same-edition replacements hunted down and purchased by the library in recent years.

Down the block is the Supreme Court, and if you are there on a Monday or Tuesday in October, you really should take in an argument. If the cases being heard aren’t abortion or similarly newsworthy, I am guessing the line wouldn’t be too long. (Supreme Court bar = no waiting! so I don’t have fist hand experience). An argument is an hour long, so it won’t eat too much of your day. If you go, stop by SCOTUS blog first and read a little about the case so you can follow.

Outdoor spots on metro lines are harder to find. The Zoo, of course, with the pandas. Horseback riding in Rock Creek is fantastic but you have to book soon (and take a cab to get there). The National Botanical Gardens is nature-y but indoors – a hot house at the western base of Capital Hill, and can be a quiet and nice place to recharge after slogging through the Cap or the museums. The National Arboretum is nice, I hear, if you like that nature stuff.

Check who is playing at 930 Club and Birchmere; both are regarded as among the best live clubs anywhere. 930 was a birthplace of punk in the US and Birchmere is mostly roots rock, folk, country. Blues Alley is a fantastic spot for jazz; food is only edible but the best acts in the country play there. Tiny room. Bohemian Taverns is a renovated spot on U Street; everyone who was anyone from the 20s to the 50s in African American music played there. I havent been since it reopened

Lots of theater if you are interested; let me know.

I’d do the White House tour if you are interested in history. It is a bit of a pain to arrange, and the tour is limited, but hey – it’s the house where every president since J Adam has lived. Walking where Lincoln and Fillmore and Polk walked. And while you are there, spend a few minutes walking around Lafayette Square. Lots of history there; read up.

Decidedly not off the path but worth considering: the Washington Monument has reopened after the earthquake. Not for the claustrophobic

I’d also visit Ford’s Theater and the Peterson House. Because.

The farmer’s market in Dupont Circle every Saturday is terrific and a great excuse for people watching.

OK, that’s enough for now. Let me know if you have special interests and I can refine.

We visit DC often as our daughter lives there and we used to live there. I suggest any of the Kimptons. They are all good and usually reasonable. We stay at the Helix since it is just a couple of blocks from my daughter and near all the 14th St dining spots. We love Pearl Dive. Rasika is excellent. The Newseum is good to visit. Call your Rep to get a better tour of the Capital. And the Portrait Gallery is worth seeing. Just too much there for a couple of days.

I agree with the recommendation about Jaleo.

For hotels, not sure about pricing (as I live in the DC area, I never stay in hotels), but you might like the Monaco if you can get in there at a reasonable price. It is walking distance from the mall and is a 19th century government building that was renovated and turned into a hotel.

If you stay there, you are right next to the Portrait Galley/American Art Museum, a wonderful art museum.

Off the beaten track a bit, go see the Capital Steps, a political comedy group that is wonderful. Make sure you see the highlights, Mount Vernon, Arlington Cemetary/Lee House, Archives (Constitution and Declaration of Independence), American History Museum and don’t worry as much about unique stuff, IMHO, for your first trip. Walk along the Mall and see the Vietnam Memorial, Korean War Memorial, World War II Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument. Should be great weather that time of year. These are really biggies that a first-time visitor should see.

Also, go see the Washington Nationals. Hopefully, by late September they will be easily in first place and you can see Harper hit a couple of home runs. champagne.gif

Agree 100%. My favorite space in DC.

We’ve spent a ton of time in that building. When my son was young, they used to open it on certain Sundays to people to fly these rubber-band powered balsa-and-tissue airplanes. If you do it right, they spiral up to the ceiling and spend 2 minutes plus coming down. A couple of engineer types could keep theirs aloft for 5 minutes plus. It was an amazing sight, seeing 20 or 30 of them flying together

They also have kids programs a couple of times a year where they get to make things using “real” tools with master builders/carpenters/architects giving tips.

It is definitely a under-the-radar gem.

Also one of my favorites. During law school, I catered a Jurassic Park party there which was pretty insane. I’ve also accidentally stepped into a fountain before. Probably my favorite thing about the building is the tiny busts all the way up near the top. Who in the world would design a building with that feature. Still one of my favorites.

Fun fact: the stairs between the first three floors were designed with exceptionally long treads and low risers so that Civil War veterans could navigate them on crutches. And there is a story (perhaps apocryphal) that on occasion one who could not manage crutches would ride his horse up the stairs.

The nation’s first handicap accessible public structure!

Not so sure about Gtown for dinner. Some other options.

http://development.ginatolentino.com/2amys/
http://corkdc.com/resthome.html
http://estadio-dc.com/

None of those is anywhere near Georgetown (figure 25 minute cab ride). Estadioa is fantastic though. Also in that 14th St neighborhood, I highly recommend Le Diplomate (impeccable bistro menu) and Doi Moi (pan Asian but mostly thai. Outstanding) 2Amys is excellent pizza and is a little closer to Georgetown (maybe 15 minutes straight up Wisconsin).

Neal, how is Dino’s since the move? You used to love that place, no?

Neal;

I’ve been a long time fan of Bombay Club, but the one time I went to Rasika, it was not so special due to weak execution (undercooked naan for example). It was a Friday night, maybe that had something to do with it? It was also about 2 years ago (after they became a hard reservation to get).

Do you think I’d have a better experience mid week? How do you compare it to Bombay Club?

I love them both, Barry. Bombay Club has historically had a more “traditional” Indian-restaurant-in-the-US menu, while Rasika is more interpreted/modern Indian. Bombay Club is about 3 blocks from my office and I try to force all my business lunches there.

Sorry you had a less-than-brilliant experience at Rasika. I do adore it. I suppose everyone has an off night sometimes. They have a second location now, near GW in the West End. Much the same menu as the Penn Quarter original. (And around the corner from a terrific little pocket wine shop edition of Arrowine.) I’d be delighted to eat at any of the three.

Roberto, the cooking at the new Dinos is roughly the same as the old one – emphasis on the ingredients and simple preparations – but the wine program has sadly not made the trek from Cleveland Park. Still a great BTG and budget program with lots of AFWE selections, but nowhere near the depth the old place had

Thanks for all the great ideas/reccos. Looks like end of September.