Mexico City in September

I will be traveling to Mexico City in September with my girlfriend. We will be staying in Centro or Zona Rosa. Generally speaking when I travel, I make very little plans and explore things as I see fit. However, I wanted to do a little more planning for this trip. We will be there for a week, and I only have three things that are must do’s as of now: Pujol, a cooking course (takes up most of one day), and Teotihuacan.

Any advice on getting around the city, markets to go, things to stay away from, etc, is greatly appreciated!

Don’t stay in the Zona Rosa. It was nice in it’s day. Not anymore. Colonia Condesa or Colonia Roma, which are just south and southeast of the Zona Rosa, respectively, are better options.

I would definitely eat at Contramar. Terrific seafood restaurant and great people watching, especially at lunch. All the rich Chilangas lunch there. Pujol is fine, but not much different from what you’d see at similar restaurants in any other city. Mexico City has amazing street food. Anywhere you see a line is worth trying.

Teotihuacan is not to be missed. Chapultepec is a great urban park with museums. The Anthropology Museum has probably the greatest collection in the world of pre-Columbian art. The southern colonias, Coyuacan and San Angel are charming. There’s a Frida Kahlo museum down that way.

The last time we were there, we took street taxis everywhere, though everyone warns against that and you do hear stories of kidnappings from time to time. If you are concerned about that, get taxis from your hotel or hire a car.

People have been recommending EL HIDALGUENSE in Roma for barbecued lamb lately. I’d check out Chowhound’s Mexico board and see what’s recent.

Really enjoyed the Saturday art market in San Angel, Chapultepec Park, and the mercados. The main mercado (name escapes me) is only for the brave though.