PANAMA -- Advice Needed (please)

My gf and I are thinking about taking a quick trip (4-day weekend) in late May and we considered Panama since neither of us had been there. We’re probably going for 4 days due to work commitments.

For anyone who has been, I’m hoping you can help us with a couple issues:

1. Will late May be too rainy? The dry season ends in April, so are we likely to get daily rain for an hour, or should we be expecting torrential downpours that last an entire afternoon or longer?

2. Bocas del Toro looks great…but we’re only going for a short trip. Ok to skip (going there is difficult, even by plane, due to schedules)? Anywhere else we should go/stay that is within driving distance of Panama City?

Any other suggestions (hotels, food, etc.) are very much welcomed.

Note: we’re primarily looking to explore a bit, get some r&r and otherwise just get away. We won’t be scuba diving, etc.

Thanks much.

Anyone?

needs to stew for more than 4 hours

So sorry, don’t follow.

just that you asked a question about a place that I am guessing few have been and a mere 4 hours later wanted to know why no one responded. I’d give it a few days

Ah…sorry. I guess I’m anxious because I want to book tickets.

Thank you.

Corey - I have looked at Panama many times (based on price) and never pulled the trigger. I think you need to decide whether you want to stay in the city or move out to the jungle. On a short trip I don’t think both are possible. Some of the high end hotels in the city are cheap so very tempting, there is a Marriott resort on the beach that is very popular and gets good reviews. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ptyjw-jw-marriott-panama-golf-and-beach-resort/ I would probably look at that for a short stay. Too hard to get to Boca del Toro

George

Yes, I realize we are going to have to make a second trip (probably through CR) if we want to get to Bocas del Toro. I think we’ll simply stay in/around the city.

Thank you George.

Corey make sure to look at the rates at the Trump and Waldorf. Last time I looked saw stuff around $200/night

George

It’s even cheaper now George ($150 for the Trump) – you can find great rates all over Panama City.

Hey Corey,

I’m Panamanian, and yes May is the start of the rainy season. Rain is quite unpredictable but it usually lasts for 30min to an hour… on and off. Right now we’re getting a few intermittent showers here and there, but nothing grand by Panamanian standards.

Bocas is great but its hard getting there and finding decent accommodations without having done things beforehand. If you want something much more relaxed and close to the city I’d recommend visiting the Panama Canal which is only about 30min from the Trump or Waldrof. Also check out these two hotels, The Bristol and Riu Plaza which to me are a bit more centric.

Also check out Casco Antiguo (the old colonial area of Panama) which is recently bursting with restaurants, night life, as well as visiting the Canal Museum, La Catedral (the main Cathedral with the Golden Altar). You should also check out the Causeway (a strip of land sort of like a tide breaker for the city that connects 3 mini islands) there you’ll find the Biomuseum which was recently opened, designed by Gehry. As for shopping malls you have Multiplaza which has all the famous brand names, Albrook mall which is more lower end.

As for restaurants and food depending on what your looking for check out these:

Salsipuedes (at the Bristol hotel)
Madrigal (Casco Antiguo)
Intimo (By reservations only)
Donde Jose (Casco Antiguo)
Maito
Roma Antica
Cabana
Vinoteca (reservations only)
El Bodegon
Azafran
Los Años Locos

If you want to get out and head to the beach you should check out Playa Blanca or Bijao, it’s about 30 to 40 min out of the city depending on the traffic. Not much to do out there besides hitting the beach, but bear in mind it is rainy season.

If you need anymore info lemme know!

You are FANTASTIC!!!

Thank you so very much Gobindjit!

Corey,

As for restaurants use this page… it helps a lot with the contact info and reviews…

www.degustapanama.com

You’ve helped my trip planning immensely.

I am incredibly grateful.

Corey. contact Marcos Gandasegui at http://www.anconexpeditions.com. Marcos is an ex college room mate and runs a tight touring company in Panama. Stand up guy and he can point you in the right direction. Feel free to tell him that Delpin sent you.

You’re aces with me Carlos, thank you!

Corey: contact Matt Landau. He is the son of our former neighbors and very good friends. Has been in Panama for a good decade, successfully running vacation businesses (rentals, etc.) and knows the place very well. You can trust what he tells you.

Here is Twitter contact info: https://twitter.com/bookmorenights

Thanks Peter, I appreciate it!

You’re welcome. Have a great trip!