Priorat

I’m going to be in the Barcelona area for four days on a stopover. Has anyone here visited wineries in Priorat? Is it worthwhile, even if just for a day?

Thanks,

Michael

I visited but was hosted by a winery and we focused on their sites and I’m sure we had different experiences than the general public.

I think it’s worth the trip to see the incredible region and to eat lunch at El Celler de l’Aspic.

Great food, incredible Priorat wine list at incredible prices. They also have good selection/prices in many European wines and will sell bottles to go.

Next door is a wine/olive oil shop that I wish we could have visited, we had some amazing olive oils in Priorat/Montsant.

Very close to Priorat and El Celler de l’Aspic, Celler el Masroig was great and seemed ready for visitors. They have a beautiful shop with lots of local products like oils, vinegars, jams, honey, etc. The wines were good and very well priced. They sold bag-in-box wines, too, which might be nice to keep in your hotel room.

The Priorat area also seemed to be teeming with hikers (Catalunya seemed to have a great hiking culture in general) and if you’re into that I’d urge you to do some research. There’s a hiking trail that winds through all of the villages in Priorat, GR-174, and should offer a great perspective of the area. Just keep in mind this area gets HOT in the summer. We visited in late May and were told that earlier in the month it had already hit 102.