Help -- CDG to LAX -- AA or British Connection

All,

A bit of help if you please. . . I have the option to fly out of CDG via either AA (through JFK, DFW or ORD and a few others) or BA through LHR. I am very familiar with the AA flights through any of the cities but I’ve not connected through London and am looking for some feedback.

Facts: Likely checking a bag or 2 and I will have a 3 hour layover in LHR.

Questions: do I have to retrieve bags in London and then re-check? Do I even have to go through passport control since I wouldn’t leave the airport? Is dealing with LHR with a 3 hour layover a problem? Should I avoid at all costs?

Or, is it not a problem since the bags will go all the way to LAX and I can simply get off the CDG-LHR plane and hit the lounge before the LHR-LAX segment.

Any feedback is appreciated. . .TIA!!!

HIC

Kind of a wash. You’ll have to change terminals at LHR, which will take some time, about the same amount of time as clearing customs, rechecking bags, and tramming to the AA terminal. LHR lounge is better :slight_smile:

AA and BA have a baggage inter line agreement as they are partners airlines, both members of oneworld. You will not have to retrieve and recheck in LHR.

One thing to consider is taxes and fees flying via LHR vs ORD/DFW. Holding airfares equal, it will be much cheaper to avoid BA and LHR as the taxes and fees are higher.

I’m not sure you will need to change terminals at Heathrow, both use T5 I think, in which case it should be pretty smooth, bags checked through.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-5-international-connecting-to-terminal-5-international

Hi Howard,
I fly these routes on BA and AA a couple of times a year.

If you are BA all the way, CDG to LHW to LAX is pretty easy. No terminal change or bag recheck at LHW. You will have to go through security again, but assuming you are Business/First or PLT/Exec, you can fast track at Heathrow and it is pretty quick.

If you are flying AA all the way, connect at JFK. Especially if you have Global Entry. I find the schedule works better than BA through LHW. Remember that you have to clear border control and customs and recheck bags, as JFK is the first place you land in the US.

If you are changing airlines, BA to LHW then AA to LAX, you have to change terminals and go through security (but not recheck bags), which is a bit of a pain. I’ve done this more times than not, but it isn’t the most convenient. Given the choice, I’d rather fly either BA all the way (connecting LHW) or AA all the way (connecting JFK).

Thanks to all for the input.

Hi Mark! You have it exactly correct. I am looking to go BA because I was able to find a discount mileage ticket there which more than makes up for the additional fuel surcharge (we usually fly 1 mileage ticket and 1 revenue ticket to preserve status). No super-saver mileage tickets on AA during our intended trip. BA seems pretty easy as I intend to go all the way through ( I’ll be front of the plane and have elite status).

I agree with you, when we travel AA (pretty much every time), I prefer to connect through JFK. . . we’re through in minutes and in the lounge.

Cheers, and thanks again to all!

HIC

Mark, have you done LHR -LAX on AAs 77W? It trumps BA up front and is worth the T5-T3 transfer (assuming you have Fast Track).

Howard - I’m One World as well and the question comes up for me often. I hate changing airlines or terminals at LHR since even with status and Fast Track, it’s one of the most troublesome airports on earth, but if you aren’t changing, you are probably just fine. And the First Class BA lounge at LHR is really nice… :wink:

Hi Sarah!

So, looks like we’re going to give it a go on BA all the way through. I’ve heard some horror stories but think we’ll be just fine with Fast Track and no terminal change.

See you in the Lounge?? champagne.gif

H
p.s. Thanks to all for the information!

Galleries first is a nice enough lounge, CCR is a bit better

But it still is BA…

pileon

The art is better in the Concorde Room but everything else is about the same, I prefer the views from the F lounge.

I’d say both are top decile of lounges internationally.

Barry,
Yes, we’ve flown LAX-LHW-LAX in AA’s 77W (complete with pajamas on the overnight flights). Lots of room up front. In June we’ll be flying BA’s 380 on the LAX-LHW-LAX legs of our Greece trip, which is also a good ride because it is so quiet upstairs.

First Class Cathay lounge at HKG takes the cake for me.

Virgin Heathrow is a funky Bond villains den, Emirates Dubai F with the direct airbridge access from the lounge which only works as it’s so huge is pretty cool, but I think BA T5 is ‘about’ equal to anything in the US or Europe.

Bordeaux is about the worst.