Charleston Recent Eats and Location Q

Any recs for good eats in Charleston? (nothing too fancy as we will have the little one with us). I know of Husk, Fig, etc, but I know the scene is pretty dynamic there.

Also, for where to stay, we are looking at some homeaway/vrbo up by Cannon Street/Upper King (near Hominy Grill), and some hotels/b&b in the historic area further south. I gather we’d be better off in the latter?

Recently enjoyed: The Macintosh on King St. for dinner. BTW- if you like SQN they have (?had) Dark Blossom for only $285/290 per bottle. We also enjoyed Slightly North of Broad on E. Bay. Great food experience at both and as you wrote not as well know as Husk and Fig.

we enjoyed in December McCrady’s more than Husk and also Raw 167 and The Ordinary

Been a couple years but had a great meal at the kitchen table at SNOB…also liked Fleet Landing for a simple spot for drinks on the water

We stayed at Restoration on King recently, and it was an excellent hotel. Not cheap, for sure, but I couldn’t find many options that weren’t moderately priced, and RoK lived up to its price.

Lowcountry Bistro, Hominy Grill, Martha Lou’s (best fried chicken of the trip), Home Team BBQ and JB’s Smokeshack (in John’s Island) were great. High Cotton should have been better. Also, if you visit Middleton Place, the restaurant has a crazy-good buffet.

We usually go once a year but missed going last year. Love in no particular order Circa 1886, Fig, Pennisula Grill, Charleston Grill, SNOB, McCrady’s. Like Husk, Magnolia’s, Poogan’s Porch. Pass on High Cotton and Hank’s Seafood. Love lunch at Cru Café and like Martha Lou’s for fried chicken.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

We had an excellent dinner at Halls Chophouse this past summer. The menu is broad, including a kids menu, they have a very nice wine list and when we were there they had a fun jazz duo playing.

I’ll second Lowcountry Bistro. We had a great lunch there on a blistering hot day after touring Fort Sumter. Never has a cold beer tasted so good. If you have time, I recommend doing that tour. My wife and I found it to be very interesting.
http://www.lowcountrybistro.com/

We stayed at the HarbourView Inn and found it to be a great spot with excellent service.

Charleston is a great city. Have fun!

David

Thanks for recs! We found a vrbo near the waterfront park so Lowcountry bistro will definitely be on the list.

is McCrady’s fancier/louder than Husk? The website seems to make it seem so, making me a little more hesitant to go with the little one as she’s not so good at the sitting quietly for long periods thing. I guess “loud” is really the operative question. Hopefully we’ll just find a sitter for a bit, but that’s a whole 'nother issue since nobody seems to actually live in Charleston.

McCrady’s is more classic but by no means a quiet place. Food was great and wine service excellent. We BYO’d a bunch of wines

Excellent, thanks. Convinced another couple to join us who are also wine geeks so we will certainly be using that option! And travel with a toddler means you always have to check bags!

Don’t think you would go wrong at any of the suggestions, envious I am! McCrady’s, was prix fixe , excellent wine pairing choices, wonderful cocktails at bar before hand, MacIntosh, great food, very lively scene, Fleet Landing would be good with young ones, Brunch at Hall’s Chophouse, great, quick lunch at Virginia’s on King, more lingering, at Rue St. Jean, have always enjoyed Hominy Grill, the Ordinary gets lots of good press but haven’t tried, the list goes on and on have fun!

Saw this article recently which may be helpful.

We ended up going to McCrady’s, Fig, and Minero. All were unbelievably good. $25 corkage is the norm, which was nice, McCrady’s waives with another bottle purchase, and Fig ended up not charging us as they broke the cork, which I think was quite generous. Marc - thanks for rec of the Middleton Place buffet, it was easily the best part of Middleton Place.

The other odd thing is that Charleston seems to have gotten a bunch of the Chatterdon blowouts, so you can find 06 Grillet and 04 Jasmin in all the stores and restaurants.

How about y’all who are voting for Charleston in Travel + Leisure Magazine, pretty please vote for someplace else.
It’s already too hard to get restaurant reservations. [head-bang.gif]

Charleston, South Carolina, topped the publication’s world’s top cities awards, part of its annual reader-chosen World’s Best Awards.

Since we are so polite, I said pretty please.

167 Raw and Xiao Bao Biscuit are must stops…The Obstinate Daugter on Sullivans Island is also fantastic.