travel planning / booking sites

I’ve gone three pages deep and there doesn’t seem to be any threads for which sites are best for planning, finding discounts, and booking. Any reccos??

I book a decent amount of work travel and have settled on a mix of Expedia and HotWire. I end up with some good coupons from Expedia Rewards (currently have a $500 credit towards a booking of one of their “VIP+” hotels I’ll use for a holiday sometime this year. My UK colleagues instead swear by Hotels.com but as far as I can tell all the main sites have the same rates overall. For Hotwire, I always check http://www.betterbidding.com/ to get an idea of what hotels I’m ending up with.

Looking forward to seeing what other folks use.

Not really a discount site, but I consistently use Tablet and have had great success.

www.tablethotels.com

Is there anything that’s particularly good for identifying lowest prices over a range of time… I have a lot of leeway regarding when I can travel (as in a 3 month range). I see some sources that show the different prices for flights over the course of a week or 10 days, but nothing as broad as a month… any ideas?

PS - travel will be to UK / Ireland, if that matters.

If wanting a hotel, then definitely surf the aggregator sites such as Booking.com Expedia Late-Rooms etc.

For more eclectic try the Alistair Sawday site ‘Special places to stay’. Typically a wonderful antidote to the standard hotel setup, and when you stay in such places with work, can detract if staying in similar places on holiday.

For more homely, try the extensive range of B&Bs and the local tourist office is generally the best place to advise on these (and will book them for a modest fee).

I’d recommend Slowtrav for UK & Ireland suggestions. Not the footfall of TripAdvisor, but a more clued up bunch and less vulnerable to fake reviews.

Do feel free to ask here for any travel ideas as well. I only know Dublin from work last year (nowhere else in Ireland except for a weekend away in Belfast). More knowledge of UK, being born and raised here.

I am thinking about getting to know my local brick and mortar TA. Haven’t used one in years, but have some friends that recently have booked some cool trips.

For Ireland, the Irish Tourist Board has a listing service - and at least used to have a very well developed program to train small B&Bs. You can find it here: Find Fantastic Accommodation in Ireland with Discover Ireland

Ita matrix

Will show you month view