Help Planning First Trip to Italy

Last Fall my wife and I visited Paris for the first time and the advice we received on this board was incredibly helpful.

We are now planning a trip to Italy with another couple for late September 2016. We are looking at an 8 day trip, departing from the Midwest. The other couple has visited Rome and would like to see other parts of Italy. At this point we have a blank slate and are entertaining any destination. I was thinking of 1 or 2 cities/regions on the itinerary, with a strong emphasis on scenic beauty, relaxation, food and wine (not necessarily visits to wineries). I don’t want to do a lot of driving or spend a lot of time in trains, etc.

For those of you who are frequent visitors to Italy, what itinerary would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Venice and Florence. Excellent walking cities and you can take daytrips to the surrounding country side by joining organized tours.

Anything outside of the big cities usually mean a lot of driving.

We were there last summer. Rome, Florence, Venice, Alba, Porto Cervo. We enjoyed all of them, although Porto Cervo was a bit out of the way. We wished that we’d spent more time in all of them.

8 days is very short… does this include flights or not? It takes 3 days to get there and back (2 to get there, 1 to get back)… so we’ll assume u have 11 total days, 8 days on the ground (not counting day 1 of arrival into Italy).
If you don’t go to Rome. bummer, it’s probably the most important thing to see if it’s your first time… but that’ll eat up 3 days. Assume you don’t go there.

I’d spend 3 days in Florence… 1 touring city, 1 touring Sienna/Pisa, 1 driving around Tuscany (or if you wife likes shopping the outlet mall is spectacular).
2 days in Venice is sufficient… small place, but beautiful. u can certainly do 3.
that’s 5-6 days… you’ve got 2 left… pick your small town and chill there…

I wouldn’t stay in Florence; rather on SR222 between Florence and Siena in/near Greve and Panzano. In the middle of Chianti and about an hour drive to either Florence or Siena (or you can take the bus to Florence and avoid driving/parking there) and a similar drive to the popular hill towns.

After Rome, Tuscany is a good introduction into Italy. There are more beautiful areas in the country, but time and logistics come into play.
When in Tuscany, my favorite places have been Lucca and Siena. Both are good in size, but not as much of the urban sprawl that you run into in Florence. Chianti is an easy drive from Siena. Wine is abundant and strolling both cities is fabulous.
The ancient hills towns like San Gimignano and Volterra are fun day trips. You can hit both easily in the same day.
I would skip Pisa, it’s not worth your time unless you HAVE TO SEE the tower. I personally would spend a few days in Rome. It is one of the world’s great cities and, in my opinion, has much more to offer than Paris. Most of the sites are all within walking distance of each other. It is my favorite city and Italy is my favorite country. Take it all in: the food, the history, the wine, the warmth of its people. You’ll have a great trip.

Firstly, I think your aim of one to two locations across 8 days is very sensible. Many travellers try to cram too much in (ending up seeing less as they’re constantly packing/unpacking and moving). Late September is also a wonderful time, with the edge taken of the summer heat, yet almost invariably t-shirt weather. I’d rule no location out on a September trip, whereas summer rules out the cities and winter can be difficult in more rural/coastal areas.

Worth looking at flight deals to see what locations have good connections and a good price. This can swing the decision.

For scenic beauty, there are loads of choices, from the Italian lakes, through the stunning mountains, gentle (e.g. Tuscan) rolling hills, or stupendous coastlines, and it is the latter that sparked my 1st thought - Amalfi Coast.

Amalfi Coast accessed via Napoli airport, and 2 hour bus ride, or faster ferry or taxi (about 100 euro one way). Once there, public transport via buses, ferries (and the under-utilised but wonderful trails described in Tippett’s indispensable pocket book in the Sunflower series - also now online I believe). The best views are high up, or from the coast, but if wanting to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri etc. it helps being close to one of the harbour towns. For me Ravello is utterly breathtaking & peaceful, yet by its location, not swamped by tourists. Positano looks stunning approaching from the sea, and mixing that with a bus ride up to Montepertuso and the walk down, gives a strikingly different perspective. Atrani is a hidden gem, cool when everywhere is baking, it’s got something of Matera about it with houses built into the viaduct in a striking maze of pathways. Italian, whilst appreciated, is not expected on the Amalfi coast.

Somewhat more populous, Cinque Terre is often ‘compared and contrasted’ yet bracketed with the Amalfi Coast. More populous, as there is effectively just one long coastal path (with more interesting / challenging paths up and along the hills). The village hopping either by boat, path or train is very easy, and each of the 5 has its own character. The noise of the trains can be initially distracting, but you’ll adapt quickly and provides a point of interest when sitting on a balcony with glass of wine at the end of the day. Logistically either Pisa or Genova airports are easy, and present an optional 1-2 night stay in those cities if you crave another location with a genuine point of difference. Genova is somewhat ‘salty’ yet all the more interesting for not being a significant tourist destination. Pisa is both a huge tourist trap (from either station to the field of miracles), and an under the radar gem (the rest of the city, barely more than a 5 minute walk from the leaning tower/field of miracles. Public transport is basically the only option for Cinque Terre. Again lack of Italian language would never be a problem here, though for some reason most of the walkers assume their fellow walkers are Italian (most are not), so all tend to utter broken 'Buongiorno’s or sometimes ‘Prego’ (you’re welcome) to each other. It makes me smile (not mocking humour) that they are making the effort.

These are just two, but there are limitless opportunities and many brilliant places. These two are very easy for 1st time travellers, with no driving, English spoken widely and both retaining loads of character - affected but not blighted by tourism.

Happy to suggest other options if those don’t appeal. Italy has been a regular destination over the years and it holds some of the most special memories of warm/generous people.

regards
Ian

You’ll get lots and lots of opinions, and none of them will be wrong. I’ve been a number of times and have always just loved every place I have visited. We are planning to return in the fall, and this will be my son’s initial trip, so we will probably be seeing “the greatest hits” again, and I am not at all disappointed.

Ask yourself this as you start the planning process: what are you primary interests? Are you a history buff? Is art your primary interest? Food? Wine-related sites? Do you want quiet countryside indolence?

The great thing is that nearly everyplace you consider can offer some of each. Venice is all about the unique architecture and topography of the city, but it has art galore. Milan is fashion central, but there is sensational food and the Last Supper (among other treasures).

I can’t tell from the OP if you have ruled out Rome b/c your companions have been before. I think that would be a great shame. Rome is noisy and crowded like most major metropolises, but it is unique in terms of history, architecture, religion (almost no matter what you practice, and even if you don’t, like me). There is simply no place even close. And you can do a day trip down to Pompeii (closer to Naples but easily do-able from Rome).

Florence is another place that to me is indispensable. Art is king there, but the scenic beauty of the area, the walkability of the city, the food . . . really everything about it is romantic and enchanting.

Many find Venice too crowded except in dead of winter, and it exists only for the tourist trade, but it too is unlike any other place on the planet. No matter your sense of direction, you WILL get lost 10X each day, and discover little canals and pocket gardens that will take your breath away. If you love photography, you must go there without question.

I’ll stop now; my information is dated and people like Ian are far more knowledgeable. Suffice it to say you will have a special vacation no matter where you end up.

Neal
Not more knowledgeable - just a different set of experiences, and yet STILL we agree that there are so many great choices [cheers.gif]
regards
Ian

I’ve been a number of times and you really can’t go wrong. Hard to imagine a first trip to Italy without hitting Rome and Florence.

That said, go to the Amalfi Coast. Perhaps my favorite place on earth.

[welldone.gif] [winner.gif]

Positano, Ravello… Ah yes. I shall return some day. Magical.

From Ian: Amalfi Coast accessed via Napoli airport, and 2 hour bus ride, or faster ferry or taxi (about 100 euro one way). Once there, public transport via buses, ferries (and the under-utilised but wonderful trails described in Tippett’s indispensable pocket book in the Sunflower series - also now online I believe). The best views are high up, or from the coast, but if wanting to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri etc. it helps being close to one of the harbour towns. For me Ravello is utterly breathtaking & peaceful, yet by its location, not swamped by tourists. Positano looks stunning approaching from the sea, and mixing that with a bus ride up to Montepertuso and the walk down, gives a strikingly different perspective. Atrani is a hidden gem, cool when everywhere is baking, it’s got something of Matera about it with houses built into the viaduct in a striking maze of pathways. Italian, whilst appreciated, is not expected on the Amalfi coast.

What do you think about renting a car? Worth it or not? If so, rent it from where?
Is a week too long/too short? If too short, any suggestions for how to spend another 4 - 5 days in that area?

I was just in the Amalfi Coast area and a car would be a hassle. Parking/ driving in that area are not for the faint of heart. The ferries are great. You can get from Naples to Sorrento or Amalfi via a comfortable hydrofoil. Capri and Ibezza are just minutes away by other ferries.
The hiking is world class. We did Path of the Gods and other trails right out of town. It was our best vacation in Italy yet.
Pompeii is a must stop as well.

What Michael said. Take buses and ferries/water taxis between coastal towns, which are all more walkable than drivable.

We’re flying back to Milan in April. I’m thinking about spending a couple of days/nights in Parma and Bologna. Any thoughts?

There isn’t much to do in Parma, it’s a nice city but not awe inspiring like many towns. Food is very good and we did a cheese and basalmic tour, kind of fun. Bologna is the food Capitol of Italy but not sure about the town…

My 100% money back guaranteed best trip your wife will love you forever recommendations.

From Milan, Lake Como is a short train ride. Stay in Varenna, search the travel forum, awesome place. Also, Cinque Terra is a short hop and stunning. More about that in the travel forum. Wildly romantic.

Stay out of Milan, except for the basilica, it’s just a big crazy city.

Florence is on my favorite places on earth. Can’t go wrong.

Milan is the NYC of Italy. While art is less dominant than in other Italian cities (excepting La Scala, of course, and The Last Supper and the Duomo), it has the best shopping and people watching in the Via Monte Napoleone area, and some of the best eating. Worth a few days visit.

James
Generally I would say no unless you are:

• very gregarious drivers who don’t panic when the traffic is flying everywhere (Napoli and around) or the roads are windy, steep and made even tighter by buses that won’t reverse - that’s your job as the smaller vehicle
  • Very keen on travelling to most or all of Paestum, Pompeii/Vesuvius, Herculaneum and exploring the hinterland.
  • Happy to get up early to avoid the built up coastal traffic

One year we were there, we got chatting to a couple who had hired a car to visit the Amalfi coast. They were firm in the belief that it was doable, and indeed did head out in the car most days, with no accidents / major issues. So yes it is doable, but the normal advice would be that it’s not worth the hassle with the widespread SITA blue buses, ferries, plus paths (and train option for those staying in Sorrento - albeit it’s not my favourite place to stay).

If you do want to rent a car, Salerno might be an option. It’s on the mainline train route to Napoli and Rome, so can be easy to get to. That might make for a nice last day driving to Paestum before dropping the hire car off. Napoli airport is another option, in some ways practical if flying in there, but still a quite intimidating journey out of the city, including having to watch out for assertive windscreen washers.

regards
Ian

Dan
Bologna is a city with massive interest for foodies (and Parma isn’t far behind).

Our first two visits to Bologna were day trips and having caught the train, then either bus into the centre or walked the 20-25 mins, we struggled with the city. However we didn’t give up, and the third time we stayed just outside of Bologna (Rastignano) and caught the bus in. The bus drops you right in the centre and we found that this option gave us much more energy to explore (and Bologna does reward exploration).

Parma by comparison was a lot easier to warm to on a day trip, and if just staying a couple of days I’d lean towards Parma, as it would have more chance of immediate appeal. Ideally giving Bologna 4-5 days and staying in or near the city would give you the best view of it - even more so if you get an apartment and graze the wonderful food stores that are some of the best in Italy. There is loads to do there as well, from walking up one of their own leaning towers, to the Museum of anatomy, the stunning basilica or the famous Bologna nightlife.

regards
Ian

p.s. one consideration would be train journey to/from Milano, as I’m not sure if the really fast Frecciargento/Frecciarossa trains stop at Parma. They’re so fast and comfortable, we try to take them whenever possible and the prices are very reasonable - to the point we generally go 1st class.