Going to Paris and London with children....

so we won’t be hitting many, if any, wineries. However, if anyone has a good idea for an afternoon, a must-see wine shop or store, or something else, I’m all ears. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry (and duh) - kids are 15, 13, 11, and 9. 3 girls, 1 boy.

How old are the kids?

George

Definitely stay away from London wineries

In Paris, make sure to hit the Berthillon ice cream shop on Ile Saint-Louis (upriver from Notre Dame).

Can’t tell from your post as to how old your children are. But so I’d generalize with my suggestion.

Are you into arts and perhaps a nice, artistic park to wander around in? Then head into the Musée du Luxembourg for their usual cool art exhibits. It’s a compact art museum. Then surrounding the museum is one of the best big-city public park anywhere (for grown-ups and not-so grown-up) - the Jardin du Luxembourg. That’s one of our usual worthwhile afternoon-killer in Paris.

if you decide to visit the museum, I’d advise you to get tickets in advance. We usually get ours online from this site and it loads the tickets into your pda/phone which youcan present to the admission gates.

In London, Berry Bros. & Rudd http://www.bbr.com/

Lots of non-wine tips if you give us more details

Outside of London, the Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio Tour. Awesome for kids and adults!!!

Musee du Vin. It’s underground, and almost like a dungeon tour for kids. Everyone wins!

Oh, yeah, and +1 to Berthillon. Can’t lose. You don’t have to go the source to get it; they are open strange hours. Most of the cafes on Ile St. Louis and Ile de la Cite carry it, just look for the sticker in the window (or on the menu, I think).

Torture Museum, Tower of London, and Madame Tussaud’s. Kids had fun in London taxis. Took Chunnel from Paris to London. Kids loved it all.

Greenwich/cutty sark, British museum, Churchill bunkers,

Sorry, kids are 15, 13, 11, and 9.

Bill, see this post (and the rest of the thread) from last year:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1550830#p1550830

http://paris.fattirebiketours.com/tours/paris-day-bike-tour

It was by far the best day we had in Paris, particularly for the kids.

That’s perfect. Thanks, Alan.

Fat Tire does a great job. We went with them to Giverny in October and had a great day and plan to go to on their Versailles bike tour this year.

Selfridges and Harrods both have interesting wine departments, and there is plenty your kids will enjoy.

Harrods (used to anyway) has an excellent pizza bar, good food and fun for kids as they staff burst into song from time to time. However it aint cheap either.

Our general tip with kids is get up and out early so you are at whatever museum etc just before opening time, then nip off as it crowds up around lunch time, returning in the evening.

Tackle museums in pairs, Science and Natural history, National gallery and portrait gallery etc. The museum of London is interesting and interactive.

Check out multipass deals though with so many kids, full price entry will cost you!

In Paris the winter circus is fun - but beware they have performing animals.

Thank you all for the great responses. Will definitely look into them (and I really like the idea of a Fat Tire bike tour.