Miami restaurants

typically hit up MGFD, The dutch, looking for some other things.

Vagabond looks cool

What’s good these days?

Depends on what you are after, Miami has a lot to offer. Also depends on where you are staying and if you have transportation. Like you I always hit up Michael’s. Tamarina, which just opened, is very good. La Mar, a Gaston Acurio restaurant, and in the Mandarin Oriental, is also very nice. I’ve had two excellent meals at Khong River House and one bad one. I guess others had bad ones two and the restaurant did a revamp, complete with a new chef. Friends say its great now. I like the Bazaar, but I recommend going with a group. Prime 112 is a scene, but if you have a hankering for steak there is probably not a better place. DB Bistro is also good, though you are from NYC and probably not impressed by that. :wink: Some others to think about- The Federal, Eating House, NAOE, Macchialina and Sugarcane Raw Bar.

I find Miami a tough town. I go to MGFD fairly often but only because it’s so accessible to my journey north from the airport on I-95.

I’d go to Nobu if I wanted a really good meal. I want to try NAOE. The Federal is fun, but I haven’t been tugged to go back.

Thanks John and Barry.

Staying in SoBe and Uber.

I think its still only Uber X there so . . .

I was down in Dec. Had dinner at the steakhouse in the Fountainebleu (had fish, not steak,… the grouper was outstanding). Machialina was very good but a little too quiet. Khong River house was good as was Yardbird Southern kitchen

We have regular Uber, not just Uber X.

MGFD is great, and you already know that one.

If you haven’t been to Pubbelly or Barceloneta, give those a shot. They’re great.

Proof Pasta in midtown opened up recently, and everything I’ve tried has been delicious.

The Cypress Room is an upscale concept by Michael’s. I absolutely love it.

If you haven’t been to Gigi, check it out. It’s sort of Asian inspired street food. Really tasty, casual, cool.

You mention Vagabond, so I guess you’re looking for some nightlife, too.

Give Lagniappe a shot - live music every night, and a cool wine bar (this is more of a chill date, or small intimate group spot).

If you like Vagabond, you should absolutely give Bardot a try. The entrance is around the back, and it’s one block from Gigi. Great drinks, really cool, fun, scene (more of a lounge party scene - prepare to get turnt up).

On the beach, don’t miss The Regent Cocktail Club at the Regent Hotel (hands down the best drinks in town, and a cool, chill scene), and don’t miss the Broken Shaker (amazing drinks, awesome drunk food, super cool vibe).

Lastly, there’s a new spot in Little Havana called Ball & Chain (it’s a re-hash of one of the oldest bars in Miami) that’s really kicking ass.

Quick disclaimer regarding the nightlife… bc you mention Vagabond, I assume you’re pretty young. Not that 40+ year-olds shouldn’t go to the places I mentioned above, but the scene is more of an early-30’s scene, except for Lagniappe. Lagniappe is more of a smorgasbord.

I live in SoBe, my wife works in a nice restaurant here, and we frequently go out to eat so I will give you my current rundown of our favorites:

If you are dining in Miami Beach, you definitely want to try something from the Pubbelly team. They run Pubbelly, Pubbelly Sushi, Barceloneta, Macchialina (I believe this was sold to the chef who stills runs it), and Lechon Brasserie. The food at all of them is great, and it just depends what you are in the mood for. The tasting menu at Macchialina, Monday at Barceloneta for 1/2 price wine bottles, and Veal Brain at L’echon are some of our favorites.

50 Eggs runs Khong and Yardbird. Both have great food. Yardbird has a great whiskey selection. I like Khong better for Happy Hour. The story of the chef leaving there is a long one that may still be in court.

Our favorite recently has been 27 restaurant. Not much for wine, but great food and great scene. ONe of the best meals we have had in a while. It is next to the top cocktail spot in the city (Broken Shaker). Of the restaurants that are available in other cities Bazaar, Lucali and Cleo are our favorites.

MGFD also has a location on the beach now as well. Their pizzeria, in Midtown, is also known for visiting Chef’s coming in and cooking wonderful family style meals. The other most recognized name in Miami, Michelle Bernstein just opened Seagrape, but I haven’t been yet.

Best fish: Milos

Best steak: Red, although Prime 112 is more the place to be seen

Best Tacos: HuaHuas, although Bodega is making a run

Best corkage: Joe’s $0

Best takeout: My Ceviche

Sorry for the long post, but please let me know if there is any specific place you are interested in or a particular food/scene. There are lots of great places off the beach as well, but unless you are staying a long time or a hard core foodie, there are more than enough great places to keep you well fed on the beach.

How’s MC Kitchen been recently? Had an excellent meal there a while back and am thinking about going back…

Do either Macchialina or 27 restaurant permit corkage?

Thanks!

Casual fish = Garcia’s

I think the initial buzz of MC Kitchen has tapered to a degree. IMO the restaurant still has excellent food, particularly wen Dena Marino is there (generally on the weekends). The list is eclectic and you can find a value or two. I think it is worth going to the design district for dinner/drinks if you are in town as a lot of development has gone into the area in the last 3 months. A new retail outdoor space was built around the corner from Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink that is stunning and worth walking through. Also, the Cypress Room (sister restaurant of MGFD) has a nice vibe. Its a 1920’s style décor and the wine list and food are solid.

Macchialina is very BYO friendly. Not sure of the corkage as I know the owner and corkage is not charged for me, but I am sure it is reasonable and possibly waived if you buy a bottle off of the list. The food is excellent there and I think it is one of the best values on he beach.

For drinks Broken Shaker is fun and the Regent Cocktail Club has a cool scene. I also like the Room which is South of 5th – very small and an excellent list of beers.

Cory

I also hit up MGFD and Dutch so much I can’t do it anymore.

Hakkasan is great for dim sum (Saturday and Sunday lunch only).

Yardbird is probably one of the most popular and best restaurants on the beach these days. Big waits and reservations are highly recommended. The fried chicken is killer good but so is the rest of the menu. The bloody marys are excellent with in house cured pickles. Wine list is weak but sufficient pairings with fried chicken.

Not new but Sardinia has been solid since it opened.

Ceviche 105 in Downtown is very good for Peruvian food and always packed.

I’m kicking myself for not starting this thread before my week in SOBE between Christmas and New Years.
We ate at Tongue & Cheek and food was hit or miss. The short ribs were a disaster, but the fish I had was excellent. Mention T&C because they do have full range of Pappy available, although prices are high.
Since I was staying at Hilton Bentley, we ate at Prime Italian, which is across the street from Prime 112. Portions were huge - a salad could be shared by 4. The 1 LB meatball novelty was good, and the starter bread was messy but really good. Didn’t go to 112, but saying it is a scene is an understatement - spilling right out onto the street.

guys, this is great stuff. thanks!

update:

MGFD - amazingly solid across the board. just easy and delicious. smart menu, smart wine list. seafood tower was great and lots of fun. the clams were amazing, oysters okay.

The Dutch - so and much better than it needs to be in the W. A mixed seafood mezzaluna with caviar, lemon and radishes was strange on paper but absolutely out of this world delicious. One dinner and two lunches = consistently excellent.

Vagabond - in the newly renovated hotel. Insanely fun, great atmosphere. Quoted $25 corkage, but didn’t charge. Food is mostly excellent. A super rich braised rib that was then grilled and sliced was amazing. I’d go back there in a second.

Pubbelly Sushi - atrocious. friend wanted sushi so we tried. friendly, but scattered service. the premade sushi at whole foods is orders of magnitude better. they should burn the restaurant and apologize to anyone that’s ever eaten there. we ordered a lot of food and it was actually comical how bad it was. strange.

Niu Kitchen - awesome, full stop. get there. strange block downtown, the owner is a really eccentric woman but she’s a fantastic host. very ambitious cooking coming out of a tiny kitchen with 2 guys.

Not super surprised about Pubbelly actually. I feel like a lot of their places have gone downhill lately. I sent a friend to NIU earlier this year and he raved as well.

Just got back from Miami and hit up a couple of the recs from the two threads…

–River Oyster Bar - terrific meal and BYO friendly (brought a 2005 Aubert Lauren) - terrific oysters, cioppino was great, son’s steak was terrific - excellent service - good rec and I’d go back

–Macchiolina- also excellent and BYO friendly (brought a 1998 Giacosa Rocche Barolo) - tried a variety of apps and pastas and everything was terrific. Another good one and another that I’d go back to.

– Harry’s Pizza (associated with MGFD) - good solid pizza though nothing to write home about - if you feel like pizza and are in the area then worth it.

Thanks for this thread, terrific.

A little late but all the ‘Prime’ restaurants are great. 112, Italian, Fish. Love 'em all.

And Joes. I can’t say enough about Joes. Yeah, long line to get it, etc. But it’s Joes…

Another recommendation for NIU Kitchen. Ate there Friday night before the Elton John concert it was great. If you are looking for something different this is it. Spanish catalonian, if we had been staying a second night, I would have gone back.