Two Days and Nights in Montalcino (and one in Montepulciano)

hi again WB!

i have done a lot of research about visiting montalcino in the last week or so. we’re planning to go either monday the 23rd through the 25th of march or the 24th through the 26th. we’re picking up a car in chiusi and driving. we’ll be able to drive to wineries and between towns accordingly.

i’m looking to you fine people to give pointers/tips or narrow my selections down. with two days and nights in montalcino, i figure 6 is the absolute most wineries we can visit, and probably fewer than that. (note that it is possible we may tack on another day/night in this area)

the wineries we have identified are: uccelliera, barbi, casanova di neri, poggio di sotto, biondi-santi, soldera, costanti, fuligni, and poggio antico.

we’re aware of the enotecas in montalcino and we will definitely want to spend time there as well.

a few questions (unsure if this is case-by-case or generally)

1. what’s the expectation to purchase? there’s next to no expectation in napa because the tastings are so expensive, yet some places in other regions the tastings are minimal to free and there is an expectation to purchase a few bottles.

2. what’s generally the food situation? would it be smart to come prepared with a picnic lunch of some kind?

3. i presume parking is generally available/provided at the estates?

4. will any of these wineries ship to the US? we’re amenable to putting bottles in our checked luggage, but we probably won’t have room for a case of wine.

5. our italian is next to nonexistent. my wife lived in rome for a summer…nine years ago. are there any wineries we should just cross off our list due to that limitation?

6. finally…for a first timer, would you recommend any of the brunello-focused tours or would you recommend going our own way?

You have a pretty good list of places to visit. It might be hard to get into some places without industry contacts.

1. If places do sell buy a few bottles if you like the wines. Most will ship but I would find a styro shipper box( 6 or 12) and carry it back on the plane. Should be about 60 Euro.

2. Plenty of places to eat in Montalcino and the other smaller towns. Plus it gives you the feel of the area. One visit in the morning. Lunch. One visit in the afternoon. Depending on the number of wines. Poggio Antico has a restaurant.

3.Parking is usually provided and easy.

1. See above.

2. Never had a problem. But it is best to ask when you make the appt.

3. Whatever you are most comfortable with. I would do it myself.

See this thread.