Meadowood Info

Hello All,

Planning a trip this summer and considering Meadowood. The place looks very nice and has what appears to be an active tennis program. Yes, and a 3 star restaurant. I see there was a thread a few years back I would appreciate any and all feedback. I am also interested in the tennis courts, program etc. If anyone has another suggestion that has tennis and some other activities other than tasting I would really appreciate them as well.

We will be doing lots of tasting and eating so I need to find a way to burn some calories.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I hear Meadowood has some nice hiking trails in the hills behind the resort, I haven’t been on them myself.

Either way, there are a lot of hiking options here. I hike Westwood on a monthly basis, it has a wonderful view into downtown Napa/Twin Sisters/Mount Vaca. There’s also a pretty epic hike up Mount St Helena and a nice hike up Hood Mountain in Kenwood, both of those being 5+ hour round trips.

I have a membership there. The tennis program is very good and very active. They have clinics for kids, and in the summer, tennis is part of a camp program they have for kids 12 and under. That program runs on a weekly basis and includes tennis, swimming, hiking, golf, croquet.

The adult tennis program consists of a pro who has been there for years, and then some assortment of assistant pros. They will teach you, play with you, help you set up a ball machine…pretty much whatever you want. There is drop in play during the summer, I believe, perhaps once a week. They are able to instruct at all levels.

They have a 9 hole par 3 golf course, adult and kids swimming pools, hiking trails, bike rentals. Pretty much an all around resort. The restaurant gets accolades, although it is not personally my favorite. There is a more casual grill restaurant, poolside service, etc.

Thank you for the responses. Merrill I am hoping to visit you and possibly do a tasting during our visit:). We are going to be there in late June I am hoping it won’t be too busy that time of year.

Have you eaten at the restaurant or have some other suggestions? Not really wild about the whole French Laundry “thing”.

Thank you for your time,

Seth

Seth,

My next door neighbor is the asst. pro at Meadowood and his wife also teaches lessons there. Great folks and awesome players. Tim is a wine geek, worked several harvests, as a cellar master, and also worked for me at Corison.

If you are into spending time outdoors, there is stunning hiking in the hills above Calistoga (though Summer will be hot).

My wife and I ate at the Restaurant two years ago. We thought it was fantastic and while both were exceptional, we thought our meal was more impressive there than our meal the previous year at The French Laundry. I’d characterize their differences as:

French Laundry – nearly flawless execution – but with several dishes that have been on the menu for years – in a traditionally formal (Napa-style) atmosphere
Meadowood – brilliant and creative (but perhaps slightly uneven) in a more contemporary atmosphere

The Restaurant has since been renovated, and I understand the format is slightly different. But I have friends who have eaten there recently and came away equally impressed.

That is a great endorsement this sounds exactly like what we are looking for in a resort. The tennis program is highly rated and looks like the perfect way to burn some of those extra calories. Are there any calories in wine:).

Jay,

Thanks for the input it sounds like we should try the restaurant for one meal. Were there any other places you enjoyed on your trip that were a little off the beaten path if that is possible?

Seth - email me in advance about sharing a glass or two. Would love to do that. I am here, keeping an eye on the farm, in June.

I have not been at Meadowood’s Restaurant for probably 2 or 3 years. It is very, very expensive. Even with the members’ discount of 10% off the tab, plus waiving of the corkage fee for unlimited bottles, I personally did not find it rewarding, and my companions were picking up the tab! When I dine out, I like to focus on my companions and probably discuss the wine and food when we want to. The style of menu and service at Meadowood is such that they arrive at your table and interrupt your conversation multiple times during the evening, explaining where each chive was grown. I just am not a fan of that style of dining or evening. They get tons of accolades, including some in his thread, so it is up to you to decide. I would guess a grand for 2 - perhaps more.

My best meal last year (in Napa Valley) was a Monday lunch at Auberge du Soleil, out on their deck. The food was the best I have had in the last 5 years in Napa Valley. Service, ambience…the whole thing. I would suggest a Monday or Tuesday lunch…I understand the weekends are a different story.

I am a regular at Solage, in Calistoga. The food is good to outstanding, depending on the meal, day, whatever. For me, it is a no-brainer, at less than a mile down the street. One thing it has going for it is tat it serves good food all day long, as it is a hotel. No walking in at 2:30 and finding they close for lunch from 2:00 and don’t reopen until 5:00.

Long late lunch at Bouchon in Yountville was also great this year. A couple of meals at Tra Vigne reimpressed.

For someone visiting Napa Valley for the wine, I’d actually consider the city of Napa “off the beaten path.” I really like Oenotri there. I’ve been wanting to try Angele, about which I’ve heard great things. Napa also has some great Mexican food (including taco trucks) if you are from out of state.

I don’t really think there are any undiscovered restaurants between Napa and Calistoga. But my favorite restaurant in the area for quite some time has been Bistro Don Giovanni, which is not very trendy. Best pork chop I’ve ever had. Really good pastas too. Etoile at Domaine Chandon doesn’t seem to get a lot of attention and it’s excellent (although kind of fancy). I also think Gott’s Roadside is pretty damn good for burgers. Finally, if Addendum is open again this summer at Ad Hoc, it’s a fun picnic with fantastic fried chicken.

Hard to go wrong, given our relative lack of population/density, and the quality of food and wine.

Oenotri in Napa is great. The best pizza I have had. I prefer the appetizers and salads at ReddWood in Yountville, although their pizza is a notch below Oenotri’s. Don Giovanni is always solid - had a nice late lunch there in May.

If you are coming from NYC, you might want to be more selective. Coming from a place like Ohio? You might find just about everything here just delightful. Everything is relative.

We will have a new restaurant by then in Calistoga. Jeez - 2, actually. I’ll try to report out, but don’t hesitate to email me for particulars.

Thank you both so very much for all the excellent information. We are looking forward to our trip to California and will be sure too put up a trip report. Merrill I will definitely be in touch before our visit for that glass of wine:).

If either of you are ever traveling to South West Florida let me know.

Thanks again…