Philly ideas

We’ll be in town just after Christmas to see the Paul Strand exhibit and the Barnes. We’re staying at the Sofitel. Any particular recommendations for dinner? We aren’t opposed to taking a cab (or even driving) but if we can stay in the Museum/Center City area, that would be a bonus. Not looking to spend a fortune and would rather not bring a suit, but again, for the right experience I could be convinced.

TIA!

Zahav!

Fork or Pumpkin - both are BYOB (Fork has a corkage fee.)

Petruce et al is very strong - we just had another very good meal there on Saturday night. Excellent balance of flavors and quality ingredients, well prepared and with occasional true inspiration. The saucing can sometimes be a little heavy handed, depending on who is plating, but fortunately the design of the dishes is such that the sauces are mostly on the plate with ingredients on top, so you can control how much you get. Note that others disagree with me on the sauce thing, so it’s largely a matter of taste.

It’s upscale casual, and the service is good. Sit at the open counter in the back if you can, as the show on/in the wood burner is great.

We haven’t been to Zahav yet, but have reservations for early Jan and are looking forward to it.

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone

Report back after your visit, please!

farm and fisherman is my go to for a really solid high-ish end meal and byo. wonderful husband/wife team, nice staff. delicious food prepared correctly. very seasonal.

another place is Will BYO (bad google name). tiny place in passayunk and the chef is exellent and a truly wonderful guy with a heartwarming story. excellent food.

bibou comes up often, and i’ve been 3 times now and every single time, it straddles between meh and pretty bad. i’m confused how it ever became famous - the dishes are very old fashioned, not seasonal, and often taste as if they’ve been plated hours before. i only mention it because eventually it will pop up on this thread.

I like both of those places. Never been to Bibou.

Mütter Museum

Well, our plans changed and it ended up being a day trip instead of an overnight. This meant an am walk through the Italian market, lunch at 4th Street Deli (with take-out goodies for home) and then the Strand show at the MoA. Amazing exhibition, by the way. Quite nearly comprehensive. If you are a fan of 20th century photography, it is a must-see before the show closes on 1/4.

Thanks again for all the excellent ideas. We will be going back soon-ish (our tea shop was closed, and we still need to get to the Barnes’ new home), and have made notes about the suggestions made here.