Luggage Recommendations?

Looking to buy 2 additional pieces of luggage to check in, preferably one large (29) and one medium (25).

In the past, I have been very satisfied with my old Briggs & Riley suitcases, but the ones I have are quite heavy (empty) and the last time I flew I got hit with extra fees for being over the weight limit. It seems technology has come a long way and I would like to buy a couple of versatile pieces that are lightweight, durable and easy to wheel. There are so many choices and a huge range of prices, so I am hoping for some recommendations?

Hard side or soft? Spinner wheels? Brands? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Budget? My preference is for Hartmann. Very durable. Of course, that means I don’t know their most recent models since I haven’t found a need to replace yet.

We recently picked up a Rimowa Salsa 29" hardside case, and are quite happy so far. It’s survived a couple of trips, including one to China, with no damage. The glossy finish tends to get scuffed by the rubber tired baggage moving belts, but a polish with goo-gone or similar brings it right back. Wheels are much better than any others we’ve owned. This is also our first spinner case, and I’d be hard pressed to go back. It’s a little heavier than I was hoping for (8-9 lbs empty), but if weight is an absolute priority there’s the Salsa Lite version. No Rimowa case is cheap, but I’m hopeful this will last quite a bit longer than our previous “el cheapo” luggage.

Hartmann. Last luggage you will ever buy.

Always have at least one hard sided case. Makes transportation of anything fragile (eg wine!) that much safer. Also, get the spinning wheels.

We have 2 from Boyt which is now owned by Hartmann. I have found them to be bullet proof and with a lifetime repair or replace warranty. Not sure if Hartmann commits to this warranty.

Briggs Riley, travelpro platinum or crew. Some ebags.com private label items.

We have always used wheeled duffels for massive interior space and being lightweight. We love them, but they’re soft sides. Never had an issue and super easy to lug around.

We have this one and has worked well:

We also have an older Patagonia wheeled duffle. Have used it for over 7 years for international travel and ski resorts.

Thanks for the suggestions. As for budget, I don’t mind spending for quality (as mentioned, my current luggage is Briggs & Riley).

I like Briggs & Riley because it is fantastic quality but doesn’t scream ‘I PAID A LOT FOR MY LUGGAGE, LOOK AT ME!’ like Tumi, with its mega-branding, or Hartmann, with its color scheme designed to be sure you know it is Hartmann.

And…this is moving to Travel Forum where it should be newhere

I have luggage from several companies, Hartman, Briggs and Riley, Tumi and of course the wine suitcase from VinGard Valise. When we need a big bag, the Briggs and Riley are the go to ones. Ours are not any heavier than any other similar bag from Hartman or Tumi but they are more durable. And the no strings attached lifetime warranty is a plus.

Having a friend who consulted with the airline industry and baggage transportation, I learned NOT to buy black and expensive luggage as all luggage is treated in a fairly brutal manner behind the scenes and there is so much black luggage already. Best bet, stick to the middle of the price range and realize all baggage has a finite life depending on how much you travel.

We are in the market to replace our large Samson items hard cases soon. They are a decade old but have been breaking for seven of those.

I don’t think I’d buy Tumi for large cases, for a garment case and carry on yes.

I have a Tumi garment bag. Never use it. Too uncomfortable and awkward to carry. Might be different now. Mine is a decade or more old. In my case, it was a waste of money.

I meant case rather than the small bag…

Lots of good recs, but take a look at the Travelpro Flight Crew line, which is different than what you see in the retail outlets. I bought this for my son a couple years ago, and it is quite sturdy, much better quality than the “consumer” models, and pretty fairly priced:

http://www.flybystore.com/TravelPro-Pilot-Flight-Crew-Luggage_c_209.html

Victorinox

Have you looked at Costco?
We got a hard case set - large and medium - for a great price and it is very sturdy, excellent wheels.

+1 on the Travelpro Flight Crew line - I have mine several years now and travelled quite a bit when I was in the corporate world. Very durable.

Eagle Creek