Anguilla restaurants

Any recents recommendations?

I’ve heard malliouhana has a great wine list, though they don’t post it.

Hibernia comes recommended by a friend, and the wine list looks amazing.

Any others?

Great place, probably my favorite island.

We ate casual every night, sorry. Gwen’s and Johnnos are two hole in the wall places we liked.

CapJuluca and Cuisanart are nice resorts, we had cocktails at both but not dinner.

And the beach a Frangiaponi is awesome.

Ken’s BBQ Thursday-Saturday
Tasty’s with Chef Carty

spent a week there a couple years ago with my wife…Picante near Viceroy resort entrance has some of the best tex-mex food we’ve ever had…and I lived in Texas for 6 years…sounds crazy but it’s wonderful…very casual as you would expect

I was disappointed with the more formal dinners we had at both Viceroy (where we stayed) and Cap Juluca…not bad, just way overpriced for the quality…the casual restaurants at Viceroy were outstanding though…Maillouhana was closed while we were there so no experience to offer

My information is not recent. Last trip was probably eight or ten years ago, so take that into consideration. Yes, the list at Malliouhana is very, very nice, especially to be out in the middle of nowhere. Food is good, but not spectacular. If you’re going to be there for a week, it’s probably worth it. Mark ups are high, but not outrageous, at least by what passes for normal these days.

Straw Hat was much better than you would think a restaurant over the water would be and the location is spectacular. Wine list was nothing special, but we could always find something decent to drink.

Opinions on Blanchard’s run the gamut. I’ve had very good meals there, and then I’ve had some less that spectacular meals there. Worth a shot.

Local joint called Mrs. Mala’s Roti Hut is great. Curries, vegetarian and otherwise. I can’t confirm this, but I head a rumor that she had closed. But if not, absolutely eat at least one lunch there. (If you see a goat tied up outside, he’s tomorrow’s entree!!) Also, you should have a hamburger and a beer for lunch at Uncle Ernie’s on Shoal Bay. Burger is fair, but the beer is cold. But the view and the beach are absolutely amazing. Seriously, the food in not really notable, but I could sit there all day. Finally, if it’s still there, there is a BBQ shack about 20 yards from the Blowing Point ferry landing. No idea what the name was, if it even had a name. Just a bunch of guys grilling stuff and playing dominoes. But very tasty. There was also a BBQ cart or shack right near the main intersection in The Valley, too, that did very good Pork Ribs. Again, if it had a name, I never knew it.

Finally, try Nat’s Palm Grove Restaurant at Junk’s Hole. Get a map. Go only for lunch. When you’re driving there, you’re going to think you’re on the road to the end of the world and have taken a wrong turn. It’s not the end of the world, but you can almost see the end of the world from there. Nat’s the the only thing around for miles. And if you’re the only one there that day, they’ll tell you to go swim for an hour while the fire up the grill, etc. Just a beach BBQ shack, but the food is decent and the windward end of the island is quite different. Interesting beaches and swimming. Great atmosphere, and like almost all of Anguilla, friendly folks.

If you have any questions about any other places, let me know. I’ve eaten at most, although as I warned initially, I haven’t been in a while. Great island. I’m hoping to return soon.

Uncle Ernie’s is really casual, we stayed a few nights in the hotel next to UE so that was our base camp. Nice shallow reef right off the beach too.

Just returned.
Had decent dinners at Hibernia and Pimm’s at Cap Jaluca, and a great meal at Veya (though service was way too fast). Food was very $$$ of course. Casual beach lunches were the highlight, of course. Wine list at hibernia is great, apparently they bought Malliouhana’s cellar when it closed for the long renovation. A bit odd as clearly the best vintages were sold/auctioned separately so it’s basically a list of 2006-2008 burgs, but still some good choices and values.
Amazing, beautiful, friendly, quiet island. Can’t wait to go back.

Huge endorsement of Picante and Veya. I thought Veya was the real star.

Bump…going back in a few weeks, any recent visits? Nobody has wine lists online that I could see.