Driving from Reims to Beaune

So the wife and I have an upcoming trip to France next May. We have three nights in Reims before heading down to Beaune for three nights, I was originally planning to take the SNCF (slow regional) train from Reims to Dijon, grabbing a car there then making the 30 min drive to beaune.

Today I got the idea to do the whole trip via car. Has anyone made the drive, how easy is it? I have no issues driving a manual and have driven in other countries but not a non English speaking one, my French is decent at best.

Crazy to do it, anything to see along the way?

Thanks!

We did it a year ago. Not a problem, relatively easy driving, though much of it is not particularly interesting. About 200 miles, 3 hours or so. Has to be way faster than getting to train station, taking train, waiting for car, and driving the rest of the way. Get the GPS nav system, it’s definitely worth it.

Troyes is on the way and pretty cool.

The drive is easy and Troyes is worth a visit. We spent a week there as a touring base 10 years ago and it was a delightful nontourist small/medium city. Food, drink, shopping and museums were very good.

130km / hour all the way. Easy drive.

Alan, Ryan, Jim & Anthony… thank you very much! Sounds like Troyes is a good spot to stop for a late lunch along the way.

We did the reverse two years ago (we’d gone Rheims to Ch Fuisse on the outward route). What should have been the shortest leg of the trip (on the way out) to Italy ended up taking almost twice as long (~ 5.5 hours instead of a planned 3-3.5 hours). that was due to torrential rain most of the way (ironically mostly on the Route du soleil!). On the way back it was a breeze (Beaune was actually our lunchtime stop).

The driving on the toll roads is exceptionally good, but if you want to make it easier, drive on a Sunday when the lorries are barred (excepting refrigerated lorries). Some of the ordinary roads are really good as well, but without local advice it’s as easy to pay the small tolls for an easy life.

Regular service station stops en-route and the food is tolerable, though we tended to just have a coffee/brioche or similar.

In Beaune we found a free parking spot fairly easily, maybe 5-10 mins from the centre and the walk was pleasant

Go for the car, save the train for something longer, or for the trip back to Paris from Beaune. Dropping off a rental car in Paris is always an adventure.

Reims pronunciation multiple choice question: In my experience, Reims is the French city name most often mispronounced by Americans, including myself, until I was set on course by my French friend who lived in Reims. So, which one of these is the closest to the correct pronunciation?

A. Reems

B. Rance

C. Rhymes

D. Rames

Of course, the R is a French R, not English.

B. Rance

I had to have the hotelier at Moulin du Ruats in Avallon (near Vezelay) pronounce it 3 times for me to get it. Definitely a tough one - even for those well versed in French!

Tyler - I did the reverse trip last year as we drove from near Beaune to Reims. Lovely drive but we took mainly side roads so it seemed like an eternity…

Definitely taking the train out of Paris to Reims then returning to Paris via the train as well. Driving in Paris is not something I want to tackle!

Thanks Blair, sounds like sticking to the main motorways and paying tolls might be the best and quickest option.

Absolutely correct, you win the prize!

When you stayed near Vezelay, did you go to L’Esperance?

Slight drift - how easy is it to drive from Paris to Bordeaux?

But if you’re anything like me, you’ll still be accused of “crushing the words” :wink:

While visiting Nicolas Rossignol a year ago, we were joined by a small group from Spain. I enjoyed being able to show proficiency in at least one foreign language while in Europe :wink:

Paris to Bordeaux, easy.
Paris to Beaune, easy.
All over france, easy.
Good roads, good signage, and with google maps on your phone, easy peesy.
No fear. Rent a car and go at it.
I speak almost no French and i’ve driven all over the country using Hertz and Avis
Easy.

It’s an easy drive, you can do it in about 5 hours, especially if you plan it so that you’re in the car before 10AM on a Saturday or Sunday morning. That’s the best time to try and leave Paris by car, no one is on the road then. It’s also the best time to try and learn your way around Paris, and fun too.

It also is very easy to go from Paris to Bordeaux by train. There is a train station at CdG so you just walk over after picking up luggage from your flight. We took a fast TGV. I caught up on sleep that I did not get on the flight - I think we landed about 8 or so, which would be about 2 am body time.

Have only done the Beaune to Reims drive, but I don’t think there is much difference. We took the scenic route, driving back roads and through little towns the entire way, maybe picking up the autoroute as we got closer to Reims, but as I recall it took us maybe 5 hours and was a nice ride. Driving in France is easy. Go for it.

There’s a beautiful road off the autoroute after you pass Troyes. It takes you along the Aube valley. Take the D396 South at Laferte sur Aube then the D996 towards Montigny sur Aube. Latter is worth stopping at as there’s a lovely chateau there. Stay on the D996 all the way through Leuglay, Montmoyen, Moloy and Saussy until you get to Dijon. Doesn’t take much longer than the autoroute as it’s the more direct route and it really is gorgeous french countryside.

I don’t pronounce Paris as Paree nor Reims as Rance when speaking English.

Definitely taking the train out of Paris to Reims then returning to Paris via the train as well. Driving in Paris is not something I want to tackle!

Driving around in Paris and driving out of Paris is totally different. The latter isn’t bad. I’ve done Paris to Beaune to Reims. Easy!