New York Shows

I will be in NYC for a few days in mid January, any tips for the theatre, no musicals, comedy fine but more ‘serious’ stuff preferred.

Tia

My girlfriend saw Elephant Man last week and said it was fantastic.

Yes looks good, but sold out and stubhub is showing average of $400. Might check again closer to the time!

You can always try the TKTS Booth. Website actually shows you what shows are available that specific day of.

We saw Cabaret a couple of weeks ago, and it was great. Very pricey on StubHub, but worth it for a table next to the stage, I think.

They rotate the casting for Sally Bowles. We saw Michelle Williams, but it’s now Emma Stone. Alan Cumming is always the Master of Ceremonies, and he is frankly amazing.

Was she describing your first date?

FYI - They don’t rotate the Sally Bowles role. Michelle Williams started, and has since left the show and been replaced by Emma Stone. We are going over the upcoming holidays.

Hi Russell,

Re “serious” stuff–no idea about your tastes in drama, but I wouldn’t recommend “A Delicate Balance,” despite the stellar cast. We saw it (in preview) and were disappointed. Glen Close just never inhabits the role, in our eyes anyway and there were other problems too. A later review (NYT or New Yorker, I forget) said pretty much the same.

Hope you enjoy it. The production was really stellar.

Its Just a Play - may still be running then. Some recent cast changes with Martin Short added.

Saw Side Show today. Absolutely amazing - great show. Unfortunately, the owner of he theater is kicking them out on January 4 in spite of great reviews. Try to catch it before it closes.